Women's Fencing | Jumbo fencing falls 13-14 to NYU in close bout

Jumbos go 4-0 in weekend Wellesley Invitational meet, including victory over host team

Published: Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:02

fencing

Courtesy Nicole Chan

In the previous weekend’s action the Jumbos went 4-0, defeating UMass Amherst, Mount Holyoke, Boston University and Wellesley.

he season this past Saturday against NYU at Carzo Cage, the Jumbos came within a single bout of victory, finishing 13-14 on the weekend after going 4-0 at the Wellesley Invitational.

“The team fought hard against NYU this past weekend, despite it being a small meet,” junior sabre captain Shelby Bean said. “We only lost by a single bout, but that was a huge improvement over past years.”

For the Jumbos, though, it was an impressive feat to come so close to a nationally respected squad.

“It’s never fun to lose that close, but it shows we’re competitive with NYU, which has a lot of recruited fencers,” senior team captain and foil squad captain Kelly Manser said.

Beginning with the epee squad, freshman Julia Malleck helped lead a strong overall effort, winning all three of her bouts. Fellow epees sophomore Katharine Lynch and senior Abigail Hepworth finished with two victories apiece, giving the Jumbos an early 7-2 lead over NYU.

Against NYU’s foils, Manser led a squad featuring junior Mailin Li and sophomore Flora Lang that felt like a mismatch between the Jumbos’ former walk-ons versus NYU’s recruited fencers. Despite an improved effort since the previous year, the foil squad came down 0-9 against NYU.

Finally, in the sabre division, freshman Alexandra Boden won both of her bouts, and Bean added two more victories out of her three matches. Junior Julia Hisey, who typically fences epee, contributed another victory, and sophomore Sarah Innes-Gold finished the squad’s final bout of the day with a victory. Innes-Gold gave the sabre fencers a 6-3 win over NYU, but the Jumbos still missed out on victory in a narrow 13-14 defeat.

“Sabre did well, as did epee,” Manser said. “Foil, compared to last year, probably didn’t do better in terms of wins, but we’re doing a lot better overall.” Manser, whose foil squad is still trying to improve with an inexperienced base of fencers added that a better attitude has contributed to their strength.

“We…are pushing ourselves more, which has really paid off,” she said.

The loss against NYU came for the Jumbos just a week after a 4-0 finish at the Wellesley Invitational multi-team meet, in which the Jumbos overcame four regional foes in UMass Amherst (14-13), Mount Holyoke (17-10), host team Wellesley (18-9), and Boston University (20-7).

“The 4-0 was a huge step for the team and a great confidence boost for the rest of the season. It was entirely a team effort and wouldn’t have been possible if every fencer hadn’t been doing her part,” Bean said.

Individual highlights included a 3-0 performance by Boden against UMass Amherst, 3-0 performances by Lynch and Boden against Wellesley and 3-0 victories by Hisey and Innes-Gold against BU. Perhaps most impressive among the Jumbos’ wins was its 18-9 match against host Wellesley, as they took overall wins in each weapon, including a 3-0 record for Manser, who helped boost the team’s foil squad past Wellesley’s.

Tufts’ performance this weekend across the three weapons was highlighted by a 33-3 finish by the Jumbos’ sabre squad across both meets, in addition to a total winning record of 22-14 by the epees in their match.

“Every single squad had several moments of greatness, that showed not only how far we’ve come as a team, but how far each of us have come as individual fencers,” Manser said of last week’s competition.

The team’s next challenge comes on the road at BU this Saturday, Feb. 9, where it hopes to carry over its momentum from its Wellesley meet victory over the regional foe.