Women’s squash | Jumbos narrowly fall to Eagles in season−opening match

Published: Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Updated: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 08:11

On Sunday night, the women’s squash team dealt with early−season struggles against its cross−town rival, narrowly losing to Boston College, 5−4.

Heading into the match, the Jumbos’ goal was to open with a strong showing while continuing their transition with the newest addition to the Tufts squash program, coach Joe McManus.

McManus, who has coached two private schools and currently serves as the commissioner and CEO of the Pro Squash Tour, is coaching both the men’s and women’s teams.

With some seasoned veterans and some players fresh to the game, the Jumbos went into the match expecting a mixed bag.

“We have a lot of young players on our team,” junior co−captain Jessica Rubine said. “Even a few who are new to the sport.”

But even so, there were good signs from the Jumbos throughout the top nine.

Sophomore Paige Dahlman, Rubine and seniors Ushashi Basu and co−captain Hafsa Chaudhry all dispatched their opponents with ease, but it was the fifth and deciding game that eluded the Jumbos.

“Some spots on our ladder struggled a bit,” Rubine said. “But I think they can take this match and learn from it. With more hard work in practice and applying the basics and techniques from practice to the matches, I think they will see big improvements.”

Chaudhry is also optimistic as she reflects on the first match of the season and looks ahead.

“While it was a tough loss, we have a lot to think about as we move forward,” she said. “We will be focusing on goals and areas for improvement so we can come back stronger in our matches after the break.”

Last year, the Jumbos fell to the Eagles 7−2 and can hang their hat on that improvement as they prepare to take on the Blue on Nov. 28 that they defeated last season.

--