Women’s squash swept in NESCACs

Published: Thursday, February 7, 2013

Updated: Thursday, February 7, 2013 15:02

In what has been a trying season for the Tufts women’s squash team, the Jumbos hit another rough patch during last weekend’s NESCAC tournament.

The Jumbos came into the opening round of the 2013 NESCAC Women’s Squash Championship as the 11th seed and drew a matchup with 6th seed Bowdoin last Friday at Trinity College.

The Polar Bears handled the Jumbos with ease, winning the match 9−0 to knock Tufts out of the championship bracket. Bowdoin swept eight of the nine matches 3−0 and lost just one game overall when Tufts sophomore Charlotte Griffiths scored a win to open the seventh match.

Despite drawing first blood with her 11−6 triumph, Griffiths couldn’t fend off Bowdoin’s Christiana Whitcomb, who rallied to win the match by taking the next three games 11−5, 11−4, and 11−2.

Tufts traveled to Wesleyan for a pair of consolation matches on Saturday against 10th seed Conn. College and ninth seed Colby College, but didn’t fare much better against the weaker competition. The Jumbos dropped both matchups 9−0 in the Rosenbaum Squash Center and fell to 3−10 on the season.

Colby crushed Tufts, winning every set of every match, but the Jumbos played considerably better against the Camels. Sophomore Paige Dahlman and senior co−captain Jessica Rubine came tantalizingly close to victory, leading 2−1 before losing close fifth games, 12−10 and 11−6, respectively.

Tufts will get another crack at both teams next week in its final tournament of the season.

Despite disappointing results, senior co−captain Hafsa Chaudhry is staying focused on the positives.

“We feel we have a lot to be proud of based on our performance on the court,” she said. “Each team member played her best squash as we faced tough opponents.”

Chaudhry cited Dahlman’s perseverance and Rubine’s anticipation as specific highlights of the tournament.

The Jumbos hope to have more success when they visit Bowdoin this weekend for the Div. III Individual Championships, a new tournament to which Tufts will send its top three players — Rubine, senior Ushashi Basu and sophomore Ann Bellinger. Rubine is looking forward to the challenge, as she believes it will offer unique opportunities, challenges and experiences.

“[We will] see many of the top players that we have faced before, and also some teams that we haven’t played against in years,” she said. “It will be a chance for us to get some more good matches in before team nationals the following weekend.”

In the meantime, Chaudhry says the Jumbos will keep working hard in practice this week. She expects the team to focus on its strengths while refining fundamentals such as match strategy and shot planning.