Women's Squash | Tufts goes 1−3 on weekend, concludes fall semester schedule

Jumbos enter break, spring season with confidence

Published: Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Updated: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 08:12

wsquash

Alex Dennett / Tufts Daily Archives

The women’s squash team will be looking to regroup at a winter break training session after opening the season 2-5.

The No. 24 women’s squash team ended up going 1−3 in a packed weekend, and after opening with a loss to No. 13 Bates the Jumbos went 1−2 on Saturday, taking down No. 34 Smith College and losing to No. 18 Wesleyan and No. 17 Mt. Holyoke.

Going into the weekend, the team was at 1−1 with a close loss to No. 22 Boston College and a win over No. 24 Wellesley. However, facing a team like the Bobcats certainly represented a step up in quality, and while some matches stayed close, the Jumbos were defeated handily, 8−1.

The one win came from the No. 8 match, when sophomore Charlotte Griffith defeated Bates sophomore Emma Korein. Griffith took the first two games in the match 11−5 and 11−7 respectively before losing the third 11−6, but she eventually pulled out the fourth game 11−6.

Sally Pratt, a freshman who only took up the sport this year, also won in No. 10 match. While only the first nine matches count, Pratt won 11−6, 5−11, 9−11, 11−9, 15−13.

But after the shellacking at the hands of the Bobcats on Friday, the Jumbos were determined to make a more positive impression at the Wesleyan Round−Robin Tournament on Saturday.

“We went into our long day of squash with a positive, focused mindset looking to play our own games ... and improve on any weaknesses we felt from Friday,” Chaudhry said. “[That] focus definitely showed in each of our matches.”

Against Wesleyan in the day’s first match, senior Risa Meyers was able to win a game and senior co−captain Jessica Rubine clinched the team’s only match win against Wesleyan. Although the Jumbos lost overall 8−1, that victory propelled the team in their later matches on the day.

“As we all watched Jess’ win, we gained the inspiration and positive attitude we needed as we proceeded to play against Smith and were able to win comfortably,” Chaudhry said.

The final score in the Smith match up was 8−1, giving Tufts its first win since Nov. 28.

Then, with the Jumbos at 1−1 on the day heading into their final match against Mt. Holyoke, an incredibly close contest ensued.

“We [were] working to maintain our focus as we looked to leave our efforts on the court in our last match of the fall semester. The match improved to be quite close, as we lost only at 4−5,” Chaudhry said. “This was my third time playing Mt. Holyoke in my time at Tufts. It was so impressive to see us win multiple matches against the team that has served as one of our toughest opponents in past years.”

In the match, the lower−seeded competitors stepped up and made the greatest contribution, with the No. 6 through No. 9 players winning all four of their contests.

“I was incredibly proud of my teammates as the 6−9 positions on the ladder gave us our match wins,” Chaudhry said. “[Though] Risa Meyers ... turned her ankle in her first game, [she] proceeded to play and win her match in five games.”

That final match of the semester brought the Jumbos to 2−5 overall. They are looking forward to a winter break training schedule to continue to improve.

“We will be going to David Palmer’s Squash Academy in Orlando in January. This is a great opportunity that other colleges are not going to have,” Rubine said. “We will be training with one of the best squash players in the world and we are all so excited.”

After winter break, Tufts returns to match play on Jan. 19 against Conn. College.

“Our first match when we get back against Conn. College is really important. We are all going to come back from break ready to win,” Rubine said.