Grammy-winner Payton to play Cohen

Following in the footsteps of Bela Fleck and John Scofield, Grammy award-winning trumpeter Nicholas Payton will play Tufts Cohen Auditorium for Concert Board's annual winter Jazz Show. Tickets to the March 10 concert can be purchased at the box office for $10.

The young New Orleans native has been lauded as the new young star of the jazz world, earning plaudits from both critics and fellow musicians who admire his heavy hulking tone, sharp high notes, and unique, constantly-evolving style of performance. Payton has released six albums in the past seven years, including his debut From This Moment and 1997's Doc Cheatham and Nicholas Payton. The latter's tune "Stardust" earned Payton a Grammy award in the "Best Solo Jazz Performance" category in its year of release. His most recent release through Verve, last year's Dear Louis, honors his hero Louis Armstrong by capturing the legend's essence while examining his music through a contemporary lens.

After spending much of their surplus on last semester's Billy Joel concert and attempting to pay off previously existing debts, Concert Board was forced to work with a smaller than normal budget to book this year's performer. Though moving in a different direction from previous Jazz Show offerings by showcasing a more traditional jazz performer, coordinators are pleased with their choice and eager for Payton's visit to the hill. "His name's not that big, but he's known in jazz circles" Board co-chair Aaron Wright said. "He's got a great sound."

@right: - Rob Lott