Kalec, Boudrow shatter long-standing records

The record books were rewritten last Friday night as freshman goaltender James Kalec snapped a 49-year old record for saves in a single game. Kalec dominated in net, recording 60 saves against Colby College and breaking the record formally held by Dave Wilson, who made 59 stops against Boston University in the 1955-56 season. Kalec's record-setting game helped push the Jumbos past No. 13 ranked Colby with a 4-1 win.

Coach Brian Murphy, who has been at the helm for the Jumbos since 1998, was impressed with Kalec's effort.

"We've had some great goaltenders in the past," Murphy said. "But this is clearly the best effort I've seen from a goalie since I've been here."

Kalec, who hails from East Amherst, New York and is a former Junior Hockey League player for the Fort Erie Meteors, was named NESCAC Player of the Week. He was also named Div. III Defensive Player of the Week by U.S. College Hockey Online.

The freshman has played a major role in the Jumbos' success over the past few weeks. In addition to his record-setting game against Colby, the freshman was also solid against Bowdoin and Suffolk.

He recorded 26 saves against No. 11 ranked Bowdoin and helped the Jumbos maintain a 3-3 tie, marking the first time the Jumbos have recorded a point against the Polar Bears since Tufts reinstated hockey as a varsity sport in 1986.

Kalec also posted 26 saves against Suffolk and helped Tufts secure an 8-2 non-conference win.

In recent play, Kalec has posted 1.94 goals against average, 112 saves, and a .949 save percentage. On the season, the freshman is 4-5-1, posting a .909 save percentage (fourth in the NESCAC) with 380 saves.

"It's a great feat," sophomore Matt Dalton said. "He's been playing very well for us recently, and he's definitely contributed a lot to our success."

Kalec's consistency, maturity and effort have been impressive considering the pressure facing a starting goalie and Kalec's collegiate inexperience. Murphy attributes Kalec's successful adjustment at the college level to his assistant coaches, specifically the goalie coach, Dave Ries. Ries has worked with the freshman personally since his arrival at Tufts.

"When a goalie is playing consistently, everyone else on the team plays well," Murphy said. "Our goalie coach has done a great job preparing James, and our other goalies. James is a big guy and takes up a lot of space in net. He's physically and mentally prepared and has made the adjustment to play at this level."

Although Murphy is impressed with Kalec's feat, the team's main focus is still on winning games.

"James has a bright future with the team," Murphy said. "But right now we're trying to stay focused on winning, we aren't focusing on the record."

Murphy also has confidence in his other two goalies, junior Matt Ninnemann and freshman Issa Azat, who have split time with Kalec this season.

Senior forward Jason Boudrow is also looking to etch his name in the Tufts record books. Boudrow, a native of Somerville, is currently tied for fifth place in career points with Drew Carleton, who played for the Jumbos from 1996-2000.

Boudrow has tallied 20 team-leading points this season, and is currently tied with junior Matt McCarthy for the team lead in that category. Sixteen of those points have come off assists, and Boudrow's playmaking ability is a key to the Tufts offense.

"Its great to see a local guy and a veteran player like Jason accomplish something like this," Murphy said. "Records are always good to break, but as a team we try to keep our focus on winning, which is our first priority."

With six games left and the season winding down, Boudrow would have to play phenomenally to move up to fourth on the all-time career points record list. Twelve more points would tie Boudrow with former Jumbo Matt Ryan at 160 career points.

"We're all happy for him," Dalton said. "He can definitely put the puck in the net, and is always looking for guys, and making plays. I think he can definitely do it [reach 160 career points]."

The team should have a good chance to get back on the winning track this Friday, when the Jumbos travel to UMass Boston this Friday night as they look to rebound from back-to-back losses this past weekend to Southern Maine and Salem State.