Hannah Furgang | The Tim Tam Slam

Oh, hey guys! My name's Hannah, and I'm new here. I'm gonna be asking where things are for the next few months, so please bear with me.

I'm a freshman from Newton, Mass., and I'll be using this column to tell you all about the first−year experience at Tufts from my perspective.

Wow, I still can't believe I'm really here! It's so cool to actually be at college. It's just like the parts of the movies that my mom didn't fast−forward through. I already know that there will be so much to write about.

I think it's going to be a good four years. I got a little scared earlier when I heard some nasty rumors about students running around in the nude. Can you believe what some people will say?

I've only been here for a couple of weeks, but I love this place already. All you upperclassmen are really friendly, especially those nice boys I always pass by in the brick house on my way from Tilton to Olin, the ones sitting on couches and drinking soda. Thanks for waving back!

My classes are awesome, thanks for asking. I still can't get over how I need to call all my teachers "professor" now. Isn't that just the darndest thing?

I thought there would be a lot of work, but it isn't too bad yet. I heard the library is open until 1:00 a.m., and there are also study rooms open until three! Who is even up that late?

What do you mean, "It comes in handy?" Why would my roommate kick me out at night? All I'm doing at that point is sleeping. I don't even snore. I mean, I don't want to get into an argument with her or anything, so if she asks me to leave I guess I don't really have a problem with leaving, but — oh sure, I'll look into the dorm guest policy. Thanks for the tip!

By the way, isn't dorm life just crazy? It's so neat that I get to be neighbors with so many kids my own age. We all get along really well too. Sometimes a bunch of my hall mates will assemble in one of their rooms to get ready before a game. It's weird, because I don't know about any games happening so late at night. There are also parties happening all the time, but I haven't been invited to any yet.

I don't think I'm missing out, though, because I can have my own party every day, since my favorite dining hall, Dewick−MacPhie, has an ICE CREAM MACHINE. That's right. I can have ice cream for breakfast, and then I can have more for lunch, and then again for dinner! Usually I get vanilla, but sometimes if I'm feeling really crazy, I get the swirl. I think I'm going to be eating a lot of ice cream here. Just please don't tell my mom. I'm serious. She probably wouldn't like that.

Speaking of food, I just did that turner−tricking thing and got some free chocolate milk! I was afraid the checkout lady would yell at me, and I was shaking so badly like I do when I get nervous, but I kept my cool and I didn't get in trouble at all.

Boy, if my mom only knew what kind of shenanigans I was getting into at college...

Well folks, that's all the space I have for now. If you wanna catch up later, just look for the light blue T−shirt with the elephant on it.

--