Tufts Children’s Theater looks to inspire young actors with Collins Players program

Collins Players, a Tufts Children’s Theater group for students in grades seven through 12, has once again begun rehearsals for the 2013-2014 academic year. The children and young adults in the program will showcase their work with a full-length performance of “Willy Wonka Junior” this March.

Founded in 1995, Collins Players aims to inspire creativity and confidence among young actors by focusing on improvisation and character development. It began as an offshoot of the now-defunct Tufts Scene Study group, according to Joanne Barnett, theater manager and executive director of Tufts Children’s Theater.

Collins Players also serves as an extension of the Magic Circle Theater summer program, which lasts for six weeks during the summer and culminates in three public performances of students’ work. When the summer is over, Collins Players fills the gap in children’s theater-related programming at Tufts.

Barnett described the impetus for creating the program.

“It [started] at a time when there were a lot of cuts to local high school theater and art departments,” she said. “There was virtually nothing in public schools for middle school kids.”

A lack of funding for arts programs in schools continues today, according to Luke Jorgensen, the artistic director and one of two teachers for Collins Players. Almost all of the students participating in the program come from different schools, he said, but many of those schools do not provide any type of artistic program or outlet for their students.

Even though most participants in Collins Players live in close proximity to Medford, Somerville and Cambridge, there is no lack of diversity within the group.

“The students are all from different backgrounds; some of them have learning situations, some of them don’t,” Jorgensen said. “We use theater as a method to reach those various groups, and the end result is often a really great play.”

Jorgensen explained that the group prepares the final showcase in an organic way.

“Every Wednesday, for the past 20 years, I’ve been working with students here,” he said. “We do children’s theater, but we play with it. Right now we’re investigating ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’ and ‘Willy Wonka,’ and we’re going to read a bit from the book.”

Students generally work together to choose their final performance, which is usually an hour-long play or a musical rewritten with younger kids in mind. Last year’s piece was called “Alive! On The Inside,” a play written by Jorgensen and a graduate student who had gotten her start in Collins Players.

According to Jorgensen, the goal of the classes and rehearsals is not necessarily to put on a final, polished performance, but to enhance the artistic skills of the children.

“Collins Players is about the empowerment of the students, so the foremost thing isn’t ‘We’re going to do a show,’ standing in the right place and that kind of thing,” Jorgensen said. “It’s about getting them to come out of their shells.”

Jorgensen said that the program provides a community for students to help each other build confidence in a highly supportive and artistic environment.

“They get a sense of using these theatrical tools to try on different hats and develop their personalities,” he said.

The 25 members of Collins Players — ranging from 13 to 17 years old — were admitted by auditions held on Oct. 2, Barnett said. Soon after, they began meeting in Tufts Performance Hangar, where they have been rehearsing since.

Although final performances of “Willy Wonka Junior” will take place on March 21 and 22, 2014, the friendships developed and benefits gained from these students’ participation in the program will not end with the show.

Barnett noted that many Collins Players actors end up enrolling at Tufts, and many choose to work with the Children’s Theater summer programs as counselors and helping hands.

“Especially in the summertime, we have Tufts students working with these guys — some in the costume shop or as camp counselors,” Jorgensen said. “Which is great, because the fact that [the students] can [learn] from a college student is exciting.”

Barnett pointed out that Collins Players oftentimes facilitates the formation of lifelong relationships among its members.

“There have been a lot of Children’s Theater marriages over the last 20 years,” she said. “These kids stay together for the rest of their lives.”

The age group of the actors explains why members of Collins Players develop such long-lasting friendships, Barnett added.

“Especially with middle school kids, the social dynamics can be so hard and upsetting that when they find a community like this where they feel wanted and loved and everyone is inclusive, it’s very good for them,” she said.