Where you read it first | Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Weekly Wellness: ‘Veganuary’

Weekly Wellness Graphic .jpg

As the holiday season begins and the new year looms, the question of what resolution to pursue may start to come up in conversation. Whether in the name of health or a to lower carbon footprint, going vegan or vegetarian in the new year is a goal that ambitious eaters may decide to take on.

Started by a U.K. nonprofit organization, “Veganuary” is an annual challenge to meat-eaters to eliminate animal products from their diet for the month of January to support a world where the production of food does not harm the environment.

While I will not be partaking in this particular challenge this coming January, my three-year stint as a vegan has left me with an abundance of recipes I enjoy making and sharing with those trying to incorporate more plant-based meals into their lifestyles.

Without further adieu, here is a list of some of the best plant-based recipes from a retired vegan and avid foodie:

Vegan Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is always a crowd-pleaser, even for those most critical of plant-based goods. I highly recommend slightly underbaking them and adding salt on top!

Cinnamon Rolls

This recipe is perfect for the holidays and winter mornings. Even without dairy or animal products, it’s hard to tell the difference between these and non-vegan cinnamon rolls.

Adobo Mushroom Tacos

I love that these use whole foods instead of a meat substitute. Mushrooms not only have significant health benefits but also hold on to the seasoning mix really well, making them very flavorful and delicious.

Spicy Vodka Sauce Pasta with Cashew Cream

This recipe went viral a few years ago and is super easy to make vegan! Just follow the pasta recipe substituting with vegan butter and cashew cream in place of heavy cream.

Cacio e Pepe

This is another easy and delicious pasta recipe using cashew cream that won’t leave you missing the dairy.

Grilled Romaine Caesar Salad

This recipe is great for a creative salad, especially when grilling. It also tastes great with some croutons or crispy chickpeas for some crunch.

Fall Harvest Salad

Perfect for any time of year, this salad uses sweet potato and a maple dressing for a bit of sweetness.  

Mediterranean Falafel Bowls

These bowls are super customizable and use falafel, a plant-based Mediterranean protein with mashed chickpeas. These also go perfectly with the vegan tzatziki from Trader Joe’s.