Weekly Wellness: Boston’s best workout classes

From spin to pilates, a comprehensive list of the city’s group fitness offerings

Weekly Wellness Column Graphic
Graphic by Molly Sullivan

In a post-COVID-19 fitness era, in-person workout classes have regained popularity and traction, especially among students and 20-somethings. These energetic group workouts and sessions foster a greater sense of community through movement and accountability, motivating the attendee to perform their best. From classics like SoulCycle to newer options like The Energy Barre, the ever-growing fitness empire in the Boston area has options for everyone.

Here’s a list of highly-rated options for students around Boston, with a special thanks to Tufts first years Ever Trattner and Sophie Cukierkorn for their input and reviews!

For the spin fans

SoulCycle

Locations: Back Bay, Chestnut Hill, Seaport 

Review: This one is a nationwide favorite for a reason. Its mood lighting, themed classes and exceptionally amicable instructors set a positive and upbeat tone for the class and appeal to all ages and levels. Trattner raves about Soul, writing, “Forever my favorite workout. Feels like a dance party, but you’re exercising. I love that there are no stats, and you can’t track your progress. Truly the best time.”

Student discount: Yes!

For the high-intensity trainees

[solidcore]

Locations: Fenway, North Station, Seaport, South End

Review: Notorious for being particularly difficult and certainly on the pricey side, with drop-in classes charged at $41 each, [solidcore] combines pilates equipment with higher-intensity training for a workout that will get you sweaty and toned. Trattner wrote that she finds [solidcore] “SO hard but SO rewarding. The first few classes feel like death, but then the six-pack starts to show, and, all of a sudden, I’m happy to pay 40 dollars a class.” I recommend this class if you are looking for something a bit harder than pilates and aren’t afraid to struggle up the stairs the day after.

Student discount: None, sadly.

Rumble Boxing

Location: Assembly Square

Review: While I personally haven’t attended a class yet, Cukierkorn wrote, “I started going to rumble because I liked the idea of taking a boxing class and began going quite frequently.” She continued to rave about Rumble as a “quick, fun, cardio workout,” and recommends it for people looking for that style and structure of workout. Trattner also thought highly of the class but found it a little easier than she would’ve liked. “It is a super fun idea, but I wasn’t sweating as much as I wanted to. Definitely recommend for people wanting to try boxing for the first time [though],” she wrote.

Student discount: None

Barry’s

Locations: Back Bay, Chestnut Hill, Downtown

Review: Another one on my list to try, Barry’s is a high-intensity class that combines weights and treadmill-based cardio for a full body burn. Trattner described her love/hate relationship with the studio, stating, “Although I do feel accomplished after, I’m on the verge of tears the entire class. Definitely super hard, and I feel super in shape after doing it consistently, but I can do a similar workout at the gym.”

Student discount: Yes!

For low-impact lovers

BREATHE

Location: Harvard Square

Review: With an exceedingly welcoming staff and accessible classes for all, BREATHE is becoming a favorite for my friends and me. Cukierkorn wrote, “while a 90 minute long heated workout can seem daunting, I’ve found that they go by pretty fast due to the pacing of the movements … I feel like I can take about 2-3 of these classes a week without straining myself. I would recommend taking these classes if you like to sweat a lot.” Trattner also thinks highly of BREATHE, writing: “I have only tried the Inferno Hot Pilates and Inferno Strength classes. They are usually good but it depends on the teacher. Not the hardest workout, but [it] feels good to be in the hot room.”

Student discount: Yes!

CorePower Yoga

Locations: Back Bay, Harvard Square, Kendall Square, Fenway, Fresh Pond, Medford, Seaport

Review: Offering both heated and unheated yoga as well as sculpt classes using weights, CorePower is great for all experience levels. Trattner wrote, “I feel like this is a staple everywhere. I have only tried the Medford and Kendall Square studios in Boston. I think this workout is also very dependent on the teacher, … but it is nice for an active recovery day.”

Student discount: Yes, but varies by studio. 

The Energy Barre

Locations: Medford, Stoneham

Review: Within walking distance to Tufts’ Medford/Somerville campus, this mat-based barre/pilates class is a low-impact way to work your muscles using light weights and repetitive movements. Trattner described The Energy Barre as “Literally the cutest little workout.” She furthered her review by expressing that she “LOVE[S] Emily Sullivan’s classes,” but “find[s] the classes to be a little too easy to be paying for.” She ended with a similar thought to my own, saying that, nonetheless, “it is nice that I can walk from campus.”

Student discount: Yes!

For pilates fanatics

Club Pilates

Location: Assembly Row

Review: Club Pilates is a classic reformer pilates class, utilizing various Pilates equipment and your own body weight to strengthen smaller muscle fibers that are harder to target with classic weight training. While the classic classes are less likely to work up a sweat, depending on the class you take, you can amp up the workout with their cardio-based classes or stretch out with a slower-paced, calming class.

SLT

Location: Back Bay

Review: While this isn’t true reformer pilates but instead lagree-style, the workout is just as effective at doing exactly what the name stands for: strengthening, lengthening and toning. Slower and less intense than [solidcore], this is a great option for pilates reformer fans who want to switch it up a bit and feel lean and strong in a relaxing environment.

Student discount: None