Where you read it first | Sunday, May 19, 2024

Through the token-booth glass

To many University students, the T is more than a subway line; it's a lifeline. How else can students travel virtually anywhere in Boston for a buck?

Despite their reliance upon the T, however, students generally view the T strictly from their side of the token-booth glass. But what about the people on the other side, the MBTA token sellers? After all, they are the ones who have to deal with ornery customers, crowds of rushing people, and -- perhaps worst of all -- those omnipresent T-stop "musicians."

To kick off its new profile series, the Daily went underground and discovered what it's like to work in a T station rather than just rush through it.

Tufts Daily: First things first: name and location?

DM: Dora McClure, and I live in Hyde Park.

TD: How long have you worked as a token collector?

DM: Since 1997, but I drove a bus for 11 years before that.

TD: What's a typical day like?

DM: Busy, real busy. I have to work it because there's nothing else that has the hours I want. So, I work a morning shift at the Harvard stop and then work at Central Square in the afternoon.

TD: So, who do you find to be most courteous, in general?

DM: Oh, definitely the tourists. They don't know what's going on so they don't give you any trouble because they're so confused. Half the time they think the token you just gave them is a penny.

TD: You must get a wide range of people riding the T. In the past six years you've probably seen more than your share of bizarre incidents. What's the weirdest thing you've seen on the job?

DM: One time, a man came through the gate with his baby in a carrier and put the baby on the train, then came back to give me his token. Well, the train doors closed while he was walking back, and the T pulled away! So this guy jumps into the tunnel and goes sprinting down the track after it. We ended up having to call dispatch to cut the power and then pull him out.

TD: So he did find his baby in the end?

DM: Oh yes, but when the media showed up he wouldn't tell anyone his name. Turns out, he was terrified that is wife might find out.

TD: People certainly do desperate things to catch the train.

DM: I wish the riders could see how crazy they look when they see the train coming -- they panic and start running! I saw an old man, must've been in his late 60's, going slowly down the Central Square steps. But when he heard that train coming, he took off, taking the steps two at a time, racing to catch it.

TD: What's the best kind of day at work -- when ridiculous things happen?

DM: Honestly, the best days I've had are when people take the time to say thank you, and look me in the eye, and acknowledge me. It's just the little things that people don't realize makes my day.

TD: Well, hopefully our readers will remember that next time they're buying a token. Conversely, do a lot of people sneak by without paying?

DM: Oh all the time.

TD: Is there anything you can do?

DM: No, because if you leave that booth and try to confront them, well that's just

dangerous.

TD: Do you have any opinion on all those musicians in the stations?

DM: Some are good... [and] some really aren't! I don't mind them usually, except for once, I just couldn't take it anymore. It was the holiday season and there was this lady singing opera in a piercing voice. I called up dispatch, and had them listen. Immediately the dispatcher said, "No problem, we'll send someone now!"

TD: If you could, would you just eliminate the music all together?

DM: No, but if I could change something, it would be for people to appreciate [token sellers] a little more. Have people treat us more like people and not take their bad days out on us. Although the college kids I've seen don't give me a hard time. Harvard Square is a lot different from Central. Central is always busy, and pretty rough.

TD: That sounds more than reasonable. Do you have a favorite part of your job?

DM: I like that I know what I have to do and don't have a supervisor looking over my shoulder constantly.

TD: And finally, do you get to ride the T for free?

DM: Why of course! I should hope so!