The pubs to celebrate St. Paddy's at

In a city like Boston, where it's about as easy to find an Irish pub as it is difficult to find the nearly magical four-leaf clover, the choices of O'restaurants and Mcpubs can be overwhelming. This St. Paddy's day, the Daily has found the pots o' gold. But paddy posers, beware - these pubs promise more than just green beer.

In fact, at Tommy Doyle's, an Irish pub with locations in Kendall and Harvard Squares, there won't be a green drop to drink in sight, according to district manager Peter Woodman. "We don't do the green beer because that doesn't happen at home," said Woodman of Cork City, County Cork, Ireland. "We try to be as authentic as our geographical position will allow us to be."

"When they start dyeing the Lee [a river in Cork City] green, we'll start dyeing our beer green," Woodman said with a laugh.

Early Friday morn, stop by Tommy Doyle's in Harvard Square (you'll spot it by the grand Irish flag hoisted in celebration on the roof) and start the day off right. Irish breakfast begins promptly at 8 a.m. in the basement, known as the Crimson Lounge, set to the relaxing melodies of traditional Irish folk music.

Stick around for a little corned beef and cabbage come lunchtime, and watch as the day picks up the pace and the rhythm with live Irish bands featured throughout. Enjoy the bagpiper set to entertain all day. Starting at 11 p.m., on the third floor of Doyle's in Harvard, the Irish DJ K will feature modern well-known and well-loved groups from the Emerald Isle such as The Corrs and U2.

"The beauty about it is that every floor has its own individual taste," said Woodman. "We're trying to create a festival like home - just get a weekend going, you know." Woodman explained that a St. Patrick's Day falling on a Thursday or Friday often guarantees a full weekend of celebration, focused primarily on music and drink. Doyle's will feature bands on Saturday evening as well.

"Everybody has a little 'craic,' everybody sings along," said Woodman. (He later explained that "craic," a Gaelic word meaning fun, is not to be confused with any other sort of crack.)

And anyone can find "craic" at Doyle's tomorrow. It's open to everyone; Woodman said the restaurant purposely avoided booking for the infamous Irish holiday so that patrons could come as they pleased, first come, first serve, from 8 a.m. to 2 a.m.

"As each hour goes, the music is livelier," said Woodman. "It's hours upon hours upon hours of entertainment."

Be sure to make it early, as the pub will provide t-shirts and other free memorabilia throughout the day, along with free Tommy Doyle's Dollars, vouchers worth $20. And with a versatile menu that includes everything from traditional Irish fare to fajitas ("Would you believe it!" said Woodman), there are plenty of reasons to return.

If Harvard's not your scene this Friday, then don't overlook every Tufts pub quizzer's favorite Tuesday night hotspot, PJ Ryan's in Teele Square. A $5 cover charge starting at 8 p.m. guarantees an evening of live music and a great atmosphere, as well as the chance to down some festive, if not authentic, green beer, the all-natural brand Verdi Verdi Good.

The Burren in Davis promises a "Kegs and Eggs" breakfast at 7 a.m. Friday, and kicks off its entertainment for St. Patrick's weekend with WAAF radio station. Joshua Tree (a U2 cover band, not the bar across the street), and a Pogues cover band play in the afternoon. Bands such as Fado of Dingle, County Kerry and Poill Knoxi of County Donegal play at 6 p.m. and 10 p.m., respectively. Expect a varied crowd; known in the community for its live Irish music seven nights a week, The Burren welcomes young and old.

Bartender Denise Firmo of County Cork said that there's always a mixed crowd and a line spilling out the door for St. Paddy's, a holiday she's found to be just as important here as it is at home, judging by the celebration.

"I think a lot of Irish Americans are very proud to be Irish and they celebrate it," said Firmo. "I think it's good to see that everybody can enjoy themselves. It's about St. Patrick chasing the snakes out of Ireland, isn't it?"