Where you read it first | Monday, June 17, 2024

Weekender Interview | Producer Joel Silver discusses Hollywood's golden age of horror

Joel Silver, producer of the new film "The Reaping," has peddled in the film industry since the '80s, producing some of the most intense, groundbreaking films of the last two decades. Most known for his work with "The Matrix" (1999) and "Die Hard" (1988), Silver discussed in a conference call his success in the action/horror industry and his thoughts and wisdom on the topic, also revealing his curious link with the creation of the sport Ultimate Frisbee.

Question: Obviously you have an impressive track record of success, not only for big movies but pretty groundbreaking ones like "48 Hours" (1982), "Matrix" (1999), and "Die Hard" (1988). What is the secret to your success over the years?

Joel Silver: I'm just a lucky guy. I love movies and I love action pictures, and I'm fortunate that I've been in a lot of movies. I've had some movies that didn't so well either. But I love what I do and I care about the audience and I care about making pictures that they want to see.

Q: This decade has been the richest for the horror genre since probably the '70s. Why do you think studios and audiences are latching on so much to this genre?

JS: [A] really good horror film, a tense film can raise your heart rate and can change your breathing pattern and make you sweat and really kind of affect your physical state. And I think that's what we try to do. We try to get movies that really affect people. And if we do our job then people will feel that way.

Q: One of the movies you have coming up is "Speed Racer" (2008). What is it about that [film] that attracted your eye and the eyes of the Wachowski Brothers?

JS: Well they say that it was the first time they became aware of Japanese animation. I mean, they knew that when they were watching cartoons as a kid, when they saw "Speed Racer" they knew it was different. It was different than Hanna-Barbera ... And now they're tremendous fans of Japanese animation. It inspired "The Matrix," and it inspired a lot of movies that they've been involved in.Q: I heard that you created the sport of Ultimate Frisbee. Can you tell me a little bit about that?

JS: Well I didn't really create it but I was there when it kind of evolved and we kind of gave it the name Ultimate Frisbee. I learned a sport very much like it when I spent one summer at Mount Hermon, which is a prep school in Massachusetts. And I had been there for a summer and then I brought the game back to my high school in Maple, New Jersey, Columbia High School, in 1968. And we started to kind of craft the game which became Ultimate. And then we kind of put rules to it and we gave it that name. And, you know, there was one day when I was sitting there looking at all my friends playing it in a parking lot in New Jersey and, you know, one of my friends said to me, "You know, what do you think about this Joel?" I said, "Someday this game will be played all over the world." And he said, "Yeah Joel, yeah right."

Q: You've made so many action films. What element do you think makes or breaks a good action film?

JS: Well, I mean, it has to have good characters. It has to have a good story. Look, I've made some stupid action films too, but it's also good to have a smart story there. And I just think it has to be fun. It's got to be a wild ride and you've got to be really excited about what you're seeing and just have a good time at the theater. And I think that's what we try to do. We try to make movies and have a good time. And the ones that have been the most fun and the best ride have been the most successful.

Q: Do you think there's a difference between being a good comedic actor or a dramatic actor as opposed to being an action star? Like do you think any actor can do an action film?

JS: I think there's a certain aesthetic. I mean, I always say that when you put a gun in a guy's hand you have to believe he'll use it. There are certain actors ... I don't know if you believe Jerry Seinfeld could walk into a room and blow people away. I mean, I'm not trying to highlight Jerry Seinfeld, but there was a certain thing when we started making "Die Hard" 20 years ago; do you even believe Bruce Willis could do that? And I thought he could, and I think you're always trying to find a new guy that can do it.