Obama and Kennedy: More differences than similarities

All across America, Democrats and liberals constantly announce that Barack Obama is the John F. Kennedy of the 21st century. Certain individuals feel that both Kennedy and Obama are the types of politicians that can transcend politics to improve society for the better.

At the Democratic National Convention, Caroline Kennedy stated, "Everywhere I go in this country, people tell me that Barack Obama is making them feel hopeful the way they did when my father was president. It's partly the words he uses -- words that remind us that we are all in this together and that we each have something to contribute to this country that has given us so much. However, it is the life he has led that is the true source of this inspiration, a life spent fighting for ordinary people in neighborhoods, courts, in the state Senate and the United States Senate." Even Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) during his speech on international politics in front of the Fletcher Political Forum referenced the connection between Obama and Kennedy with regards to their similar traits and beliefs.

Unfortunately, the connection between the 35th president and the soon-to-be 44th president of the United States proves to be extremely superficial. Many people believe that one of the main similarities between the two is that their candidacies provided a fresh new face for Washington. This is only half true. Before becoming president, Kennedy served in Washington for 13 years as both a representative and senator. In comparison, Obama has failed to serve even four years in Washington. Kennedy may have been a breath of fresh air for American politics, but he had significant experience to back it up.

With regards to foreign policy, Kennedy and Obama have major disparities in their beliefs. In his inauguration speech, Kennedy announced, "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." This quote sounds more like something that would be heard out of the Sen. John McCain campaign than out of the mouth of Obama.

While Kerry touted the pragmatism that Kennedy showed during the Cuban Missile Crisis, he failed to mention Kennedy's complete record on foreign policy. President Kennedy was a major supporter of the French-installed government in Vietnam. He provided many resources to the regime, including economic, military and political support (most notable were his 16,000 "military advisors").

With Kennedy's approval of the assassination of President Ngo Dinh Diem, Americans saw themselves committed to Vietnam in the years to follow. Kennedy even backed a coup against the government of Iraq to install a regime more in favor of American interests. These policies seem very different than the ones proposed by Obama. After all, at the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, Obama stated, "We must neither retreat from the world nor try to bully it into submission -- we must lead the world, by deed and example." Obama has called for a new era of diplomacy and alliances as a solution to the problems abroad. While Kennedy maintained an alliance with NATO and met with Soviet officials, he was far more of a war hawk than Obama.

On domestic policies, Obama and Kennedy also have crucial differences in many areas. President Kennedy was a major supporter of across-the-board tax cuts. When entering office, he claimed, "Our present tax system ... reduces the financial incentives for personal effort, investment and risk-taking." This ideology is vaguely similar to the idea of supply-side economics. The Kennedy tax cut, which later passed as the Revenue Act of 1964, decreased taxes for all members of society, but especially the wealthy.

The latter's income tax dropped from over 90 percent to 70 percent, and the corporate tax was reduced from 52 to 48 percent. With the addition of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962, Kennedy attempted to lower tariffs significantly to increase American trade and alleviate American consumers.

All of the above policies connect stronger with the McCain ticket than with the Obama ticket. Obama has proposed an agenda almost opposite to that of Kennedy. While he intends to cut taxes for the majority of Americans, Obama will raise the income tax for individuals making over $250,000. Also, Obama will raise corporate taxes on American businesses. He has proposed to amend NAFTA and rejects a United States-Colombia Free Trade Agreement. While it can be debated if Obama's economic policies will benefit the country, it cannot be debated that they are vastly different than Kennedy's.

Unfortunately, with regards to politics, perception is reality. Regardless of the facts at hand, if individuals claim that Kennedy and Obama are brothers in rhetoric, then it is a truth.

--