Police Briefs | 10/22/2008

Welcome to the Daily's interactive police blotter map. Click each point on the map to learn about the incident that happened there.

Red points designate incidents from this week's police briefs.

Blue points designate older incidents from earlier in the semester.

View Larger Map

Devious decal

Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) officers on Oct. 15 found a car in the Carmichael parking lot that they believed to have a fraudulent parking decal. It turned out to be registered to a different car.

The police followed up the following day at 11:05 a.m. and discovered that a senior had registered his car and given the parking decal to a sophomore. The sophomore, a resident of Wren Hall, wanted to park closer to the dormitory, according to TUPD Sgt. Robert McCarthy. A report was turned over to the dean's office.

TUPD says XYZ

TUPD officers driving around campus at 12:57 a.m. on Oct. 18 found three white males standing on a sidewalk, one of whom was urinating. The officers approached the men, who said that they were from Lehigh University in Pennsylvania and were visiting a Tufts student.

The officers went to South Hall with the three males to verify this with the student they claimed to be visiting. The Tufts student confirmed they were visiting from Lehigh.

In the student's room, officers observed bottles of vodka, rum and whiskey, as well as several racks of beer. The four individuals were under 21. The alcohol was confiscated and a report was sent to the dean's office. Lehigh was notified of the incident.

Student not drunk, just combative, unsteady and smelly

TUPD received a call at 1:15 a.m. on Oct. 19 reporting an "intoxicated and combative male" in the lobby of Lewis Hall, according to McCarthy. Somerville Fire Department and Cataldo Ambulance Service, Inc. responded along with the Tufts police. When officers arrived, they were informed that the male had moved to the fourth floor.

When they confronted him there, he stated that he had not been drinking. He was swaying back and forth, holding onto a doorframe for balance, and he smelled of alcohol, McCarthy said.

The student refused to show identification or go to the hospital and continued to act combatively. He was placed under protective custody and brought to the Medford police station.