Somerville considers proposals for Davis Sq. hotel

Davis Square is now one step closer to getting its first hotel.

The City of Somerville has begun considering four detailed proposals it received last month from developers hoping to secure a contract, according to city spokesperson Tom Champion. Many other businesses expressed interest before the deadline but did not apply.

The city will analyze the relatively conceptual plans over the next few months before narrowing down the list of candidates and requesting more concrete information, Champion said. The content of the submissions and the identities of the developers are currently being kept confidential.

Champion was content with the quality of the responses, although he would have liked to have seen more applications.

"We are pleased that even in a difficult economic situation, we are still seeing significant levels of interest in our hotel in Davis Square from partnerships with experience and access to good levels of credit," Champion told the Daily.

"We would have loved to see more proposals, but that we got good proposals even in this time reminds us that Davis Square is very attractive to businesses that support the current … activities there," he said.

The hotel will serve many functions in its place at the center of the economically and culturally diverse Davis Square. Champion noted the way that Tufts and other local universities drive and support the square's identity and economic activity, and he said the hotel must also fit into this mold.

"We want to make sure we're selecting people who have good experience working with communities, can develop a business in an urban setting, have a vision for the hotel and can provide financially," he said.

Ward 6 Alderman Rebekah Gewirtz said she would like to see certain features incorporated into plans for the establishment.

"My priorities are green building elements and amenities in the hotel," she said. "And I would like to see more of a boutique-style hotel, a smaller hotel."

After considering each of the proposals, the city expects to announce three finalists, but may keep all the submissions in the running.

The city will ask for more specific plans from the final applicants and will then do further feasibility assessments. "The forms will detail the capital, ideas and special resources available to each company," Champion said.

Each of the more detailed proposals will include building specifications such as a drawing and a floor plan, as well as financing information.

The city and a technical advisory committee are currently calculating the potential results of the proposals. Champion called the process "a complex task in the current economic times."

The advisory committee contains staff from the city, an alderman and two members from the community. Members will present their findings to the mayor and the community at large.

Gewirtz, whose jurisdiction includes Davis Square, sits on the committee. She told the Daily that she hopes the group can provide helpful feedback and allow residents to be a part of the decision.

"What I think is important is an active community process," she said. She added that she feels it is crucial to "see that the plans for the hotel acknowledge those amenities that Davis Square has to offer."