TuftsLife launches revamped site

When students launched their Web browsers Monday night, something unexpected greeted them: "TuftsLife 2.1," the newly revamped version of Tufts' popular informational Web site.

The renovation to TuftsLife.com, a portal that provides numerous links and services targeted at Tufts students, aims to successfully wed function and form, according to TuftsLife spokesperson Adam White.

New features on the Web site, which went public at 10 p.m. Monday, include updated restaurant menu pages, a blog and a link to Google Calendar on all of the event pages. Persistent problems of the old Web site, such as outdated restaurant menu pages, have been updated and fixed.

"We added all of the favorite attributes, and we maintained the professional look," White said.

Also, White mentioned that drop-down menus on the site's homepage would soon include new elements. "We have chosen this design to enable the site to grow and add some of the features that we think will have value for most students," he said.

The new homepage also provides easier access to e-mail accounts and to the Tufts directory. "The site … allows more information to be displayed when you first open the site, rather than scrolling, which is a key objective in contemporary Web design," White said.

In addition, TuftsLife 2.1 better incorporates the university colors and has a restructured book swap section.

Freshman Joel Greenberg, a potential computer science major, helps to run the site.

"I'm looking forward to seeing how TuftsLife develops as a tool for the student body," said Greenberg, who helps to monitor posts and review restaurant menus. "We've campaigned to have students use it as a homepage, and we receive thousands of hits a day."

Several students reacted favorably to the new version of TuftsLife, specifically citing the improved design and the Google Calendar feature.

"The new layout is really easy to read and has very clear section headings," said Sarah Soffer, a freshman. "I also like how links to e-mail sites are more prominent on the page."

The original TuftsLife Web site remained unchanged for years, but was replaced with TuftsLife 2.0 two weeks before orientation for the Class of 2012.

TuftsLife 2.0 was in the works for two years, yet the version did not fully accomplish the aspirations of TuftsLife members. For this reason, they designed TuftsLife 2.1.

Both renovations arose from community response and from the team of TuftsLife programmers and administrators.

reenberg said he hopes to eventually do some of the major coding as the Web site expands. "Anyone is welcome to help with no web experience," White said.

And the site's work is not complete. White hinted at a possible big development in the site under the "Tufts Exchange" drop-down menu, pending approval of the Tufts Community Union Senate. "In the next two to three weeks some big things could happen," said White, who called recent adjustments relatively small changes.

The student organization that runs the Web site manages 1,500 TuftsLife user accounts. The group is constantly seeking advice and constructive criticism about the site and hopes that the unveiling of TuftsLife 2.1 will draw more students to the organization.

"We have a blog, which will be prominent," White said. "We also have a link to submit comments, and that's where this new design came from."

TuftsLife will be having a meeting the Tuesday. The forum will be open to comments, constructive criticism and recruits. Information for the meeting will be posted on TuftsLife.com.