Where you read it first | Saturday, May 18, 2024

BREAKING: ‘Gaza Solidarity Encampment’ ends without deal with university

The dismantling comes just three days after university leaders announced that the university would serve trespass warnings to protesters remaining on the quad.

20240503-IMG_7906.jpg
The "Gaza Solidarity Encampment" comes down on May 3.

Editor’s note: This story has been updated with further comment.

Protesters dismantled the “Gaza Solidarity Encampment” on the Academic Quad Friday. The encampment, which began on April 7, stood for nearly a month.

No deal with the university was reached through negotiations, Tufts Students for Justice in Palestine wrote in an Instagram post. Tufts’ executive director of public relations Patrick Collins confirmed that the protesters’ decision to leave the Academic Quad was made independently.

“We’re pleased that the encampment has been taken down and that protest on the academic quad has been resolved peacefully and voluntarily,” Collins wrote in a statement. “The protesters’ departure was not the result of an agreement with the university.”

Tufts SJP wrote that the university offered “a bad-faith deal” and declined to provide amnesty to students involved in recent demonstrations. The group did not elaborate on its decision to take down the encampment.

“Rather than take a bad faith deal that would forfeit our right to organize—and our values—we chose to walk away from this offer to maintain the integrity of the struggle for Palestinian Liberation,” it wrote.