Summer Movie Preview | Hollywood's summer flicks lineup falls mostly within action and comedy genres

Summer is a prime time for studios to release their blockbusters. Kids are out of school and want to beat the heat by taking refuge in cool theaters. This year, the movie industry is sure to please audiences with blockbuster hits, even if all the thrills films offer are cheap ones.

"Terminator Salvation" (May 21): After what many consider to be the huge failure of "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" (2003), the point at which Arnold Schwarzenegger's left the series due to his gubernatorial duties, it was uncertain where the franchise would go next. Now, McG, director of such gems as "Charlie's Angels" (2000) and "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" (2003), has stepped up to make what could be the most intense action movie of the year. Don't believe the hype? Take a listen to Christian Bale's furious tirade on the set of the movie to get an idea of just how extreme it will be.

"The Hangover" (June 5): Comedian Zach Galifianakis and Ed Helms from NBC's "The Office" star in this raunchy comedy that is sure to leave people laughing and wanting more. Director Todd Phillips is the guy responsible for bringing Jon Heder and Billy Bob Thornton together in "School for Scoundrels" (2006), what may have been one of the most ill-advised remakes ever. Don't expect too much from this comedy. The lower-level cast was obviously chosen for budget reasons, so this film could actually profit at the box office.

"Moon" (June 12): Sam Rockwell, best known for his roles in "Choke" (2008) and "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" (2002), is a psychological sci-fi thriller that is sure to confuse some and delight many. Astronaut Sam Bell is spending three years on the moon to harvest energy for Earth. He and his computer GERTY, reminiscent of HAL9000 from "2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968), pass the time working and living together. Toward the end of his stint, he uncovers something very strange that twists the whole film upside down. Even though the movie is only getting a limited release, this is one that audiences should take the time out to see.

"Year One" (June 19): The Michael Cera film has almost become a genre on its own, and now he will team up with Jack Black to spoof the "caveman genre." This film has the potential to be great, but looks dull from the clips in the trailer. It feels too formulaic and bland after the success of the similar comedies released in the past few years. Save some money and wait to rent this one.

"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" (June 24): If blowing things up is an art, Michael Bay is Picasso. This sequel doesn't look to be too different from the original film, except for the extension in the story line. The film definitely caters toward the fans of the first, as well as those who genuinely enjoy computer generated machines and artificial explosions. There is no other reason to see this film, save for those who are totally enamored with Shia LaBeouf.

"Public Enemies" (July 1): Johnny Depp is sure to provide a stunning performance as American gangster John Dillinger in this stylistically classic crime film. Bale also makes an appearance as the FBI agent chasing Dillinger, and it can be assumed his performance will be solid as well. Between the all-star cast and hotshot director Michael Mann, "Enemies" is one of the most anticipated films of the summer and is sure to please.

"Bruno" (July 10): The formula is simple: dress up as a ridiculous foreign reporter with a gimmick and terrorize ordinary people. Sacha Baron Cohen perfected this style with "Borat" (2006), and his return to the screen as Bruno will surely not disappoint. The film is already causing a bit of controversy over the "interview" Bruno conducted with Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) after Paul spoke out against the trickery used to get him into a bedroom with the character. If all else fails, the movie will give audiences the answer to the burning question "How do you protect yourself from a man with two dildos?"

"Funny People" (July 31): Judd Apatow is really breaking out of his typical form for this one. In his first directorial feature since 2007's "Knocked Up," "Funny People" stars Adam Sandler as a comedian who is diagnosed with a terminal disease and takes a young comedian, played by Seth Rogen, under him as an opening act. This film is a delicate mix of romance, bromance, comedy and drama, which will be an interesting combination on the big screen. Leslie Mann, Apatow's wife, returns in this film to provide the love interest with comic relief. The movie is sure to be one of the biggest, and certainly classiest, comedies to hit theaters this summer.