Show me the money

The great American writer Mark Twain often warned to not let school come in the way of education. Unfortunately, Tufts University and many other institutions of education are not heeding Twain's words as they profit on the backs of the nation's brightest. This past week, the Chronicle of Higher Education released a study that revealed that Tufts is the most expensive school in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. With a staggering cost of $51,088 for tuition, fees and room and board, Tufts' price tag exceeds that of Boston College, Boston University, Northeastern University and Harvard University. In fairness to Tufts, it is just one of the 58 schools that are members of the 50k Club. Yet, Tufts proves to be a quintessential example of what is wrong with the American collegiate educational system.

When questioned about the rising cost of the institution, Tufts spokesperson Kim Thurler commented, "We care a great deal about making a Tufts University education accessible to the most talented students regardless of their economic means." When the average household income in the United States is around $50,000, I am hard-pressed to reason how the school feels it is opening its door to all economic classes. Thurler went on to note that 50 percent of the undergraduate population receives some form of financial aid. However, a good portion of this aid comes in the form of loans that have to be paid back. Even the lucky 40 percent of the student body that receives an average grant of $27,000 still suffers. Some of these students might still graduate with around $100,000 worth of debt, hardly a relief for struggling families. In a survey last spring, over a quarter of Tufts students polled were "somewhat or very dissatisfied with the clarity and transparency of financial aid at Tufts."

Who are hurt by these skyrocketing prices? Minorities. The percentage of African Americans and Latinos in the incoming class has decreased considerably over the past several years. While the university proudly notes that it is 95 percent need blind, poorer students will not bother to apply to an institution that is out of their price range. They instead opt for cheaper state schools. Once again this problem of minority acceptance is one shared by private institutions all over the country. However, Tufts should be more acutely aware of this issue as the university proudly notes on its Web site, "Diversity and inclusion are central to the educational mission of Tufts University."

What does the $51,088 guarantee a student on the Hill? Not as much as one would hope. The bill certainly does not cover the cost of books. Students can spend over $1,000 a year purchasing required reading for classes. Secondly, the price does not include quality housing on campus. Last March, the Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate commissioned a report by the Tufts Students for the Improvement of Residential Life. The report noted that "Students are frustrated by the lack of housing on campus, the seemingly haphazard nature of the facilities, the lack of quality bathrooms, and lack of good common spaces and lounges." In comparison with other local universities, the report ranked Tufts dead last in quality of campus housing. Finally, as the time for spring course selection approaches, students begin fighting to enroll in the classes of their choice. Despite the high cost of tuition, most Jumbos attest an inability to get into their desired classes until junior year. So much for the old phrase give them what they paid for.

The goal of this article is not to lambast Tufts. I am proud to be a member of the Tufts student body. This is a tremendous school with great resources and a stimulating curriculum. However, while immersing myself in my studies, I have learned to ask questions and demand accountability. Why is the cost of Tufts and all other universities relentlessly increasing, while average Americans watch their incomes decrease? In the TCU Spring Survey of 2009, 42.5 percent of students reported that they were concerned that their parents would be unable to finance their education in the future. Unfortunately, a sizeable 9.6 percent of respondents indicated that they had come close to leaving Tufts due to costs.

Universities, in conjunction with the federal government, need to examine this issue of cost control more closely. There are a number of steps both the former and the latter could take to deal with the current crisis. The government needs to change the classification of universities from non-profit to for-profit corporations. The evidence is overwhelming that these private institutions are focused on producing a profit. Currently, they hold tax-free property and receive beneficial tax rates. The U.S. government and in essence the American people are financially supporting these private institutions. Why should Americans — especially the poor and the middle class — be subsidizing institutions that charge the highest tuitions in the world?

Finally, as they raise their prices, universities are simultaneously increasing executive pay. Despite a horrible economic year for American universities, presidential pay increased 15.5 percent to an average of $627,750. The Chronicle of Higher Education cites Tufts President Lawrence Bacow's salary with benefits at $670,844. Now, as a proponent of capitalism, I believe the market rightfully determines an individual's worth. However, I offer a suggestion to Bacow and all fellow university presidents. Our Commander-in-Chief, Barack Obama, earns $400,000 a year. I propose that all university presidents accept a salary equal to that of the leader of the free world. The rest of the money should be allocated for scholarships. At Tufts, the savings could provide five students with the opportunity to attend a year on the Hill for free. This would be an ideal way for our president and all college presidents to truly show they understand students' difficulties.

The positive externalities of higher education are too numerous to count. Unfortunately, the United States is pricing higher education out of the reach of many of its own. America ranks second in the world in older adults (ages 35-64) with a college diploma. However, the United States has slipped to eighth in the world in young adults (ages 25-34) with a college diploma. As we continue to fall behind other industrial countries in the category of higher education, our ability as a nation to remain the leader in the world will inevitably diminish. European countries are doing all they can to increase college attendance. They absorb costs and highly regulate their universities. On the contrary, the United States permits — and funds — the 50k Club of American universities. The time has come for a change.