New Deal for Tufts students

When I arrived on campus for the first time as a student in Fall 2008, one aspect of Tufts that amazed me was the amount of control the student government had. Compared to my high school student government, the amount of control the young men and women of Tufts had was unfathomable. However, the relationship between the Tufts student government and the students felt analogous to the student body-student government relationship at my high school. At first I blamed the Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate, but quickly realized the Senate was futile. Then I blamed the students for caring too much about national issues, especially the 2008 presidential election. But this, too, proved to be futile. I realized whomever I blamed, part of that blame had to fall on me for letting apathy overrun me. Today, though, I write to tell you that I cannot sit idly by any longer, that I cannot watch from the sidelines and that I cannot blame anyone else but myself for my frustrations. I write to announce that I am running for the recently vacated TCU Senate seat for the Class of 2012.

I am running for the Senate because I believe the disconnection between the Senate and its constituents is too great. I do not blame the senators, nor do I blame the student population. However, it seems that we see a lot of the senators around campaign season and little of them ever again. This disconnect is unhealthy for the Tufts community as a whole and inevitably will create problems of miscommunication much like the controversy generated by the Trips Cabin decision last year. As a senator — as your senator — I will work hard not to let this disconnect continue and will prevent future miscommunications and misunderstandings from happening.

Though only one seat is being voted on today, this election can mark a new start for the Senate. If elected, I will work to ensure that the Senate is not a mysterious organization that we only hear about through an article in the paper that happens to catch our eye. I do not find the relationship between the Senate and their constituents to be a healthy one. More communication must take place, and as your senator, I will do everything I can do make this idea a reality.

While the current senators are working hard both on the issues facing Tufts and reaching out to their constituents, we need more dialogue between these groups, and we need it now. The administration gives a lot of power and responsibility to us students. Not only do students have control over a massive budget, but the students also choose who gets this control. Without a healthy dialogue between these groups, decisions made with the best intentions will become controversial and upsetting. If elected, I will reach out to the students to strengthen the relationship.

Students not on Senate must also take charge in this issue. We hear the same old voices and opinions again and again, and more students must let their voices be heard. The implications of the decisions the Senate makes to spend or to not spend money on a project should be an issue all students consider and form consequent opinions. Think of the part of your tuition that is listed as your Student Activities Fee, an aggregate total of $1.3 million, as your tax dollars that the Senate gets to decide how to spend. Your peers decide how to spend your (or in many cases your parents') money.

I have been guilty of apathy for too long and am in no way putting the blame on everybody else. For over the past year-and-a-half I have done little to help strengthen the relationship between the Senate and the general student population. And I too was frustrated by some decisions the Senate has made. However, I brought on that frustration for not getting involved. After hitting myself over and over for my general apathy and discontent, I read that a Senate seat for my year was opening up.

I knew that if I was going to do anything about my own personal frustration, as well as the frustration expressed by my peers, I owed it to them and myself to run. I ask readers in the sophomore class to vote for me today, and those not in the sophomore class to talk with sophomores about this election. I also ask that even if I don't win today, this election will mark a new direction for Tufts politics. I ask that Senators reach out to students and students reach out to Senators. If throwing my hat into this race has taught me anything, it is that both sides could be doing more, and both sides should be doing more. Thank you.

--

Ben Richards is a sophomore who has not yet declared a major. He is a candidate in today's TCU Senate special election for the Class of 2012.