Summer TV features cops, comedians and ... nudity?

The summer TV landscape has become increasingly competitive and interesting since original cable programming began competing with major networks. This summer features an extensive lineup of new series from every corner of the industry. Here are just some of the shows premiering this summer — both on broadcast and cable networks — that are worth keeping an eye on.

"The Good Guys:" From Matt Nix, the creator of the fast-paced and fun "Burn Notice," comes this buddy cop action-comedy series about (surprise!) a washed-up detective and his squeaky young counterpart, played by Bradley Whitford ("The West Wing," 1999-2006) and Colin Hanks, respectively. The cast and the awesome mustache Whitford sports in the role are enough reasons to tune in. "The Good Guys" officially premieres on Fox on June 7 at 9 p.m., but a preview will air on May 19 at 8 p.m. before "American Idol."

"The Hard Times of RJ Berger:" Because HBO's "Hung" needed a teenage equivalent, MTV is debuting its first single-camera comedy about a nerdy high school student (Paul Iacono) who gets pants-ed by a bully and is revealed to be extremely well-endowed. Large penises aside, the show looks like a fairly standard high school comedy, complete with the jocks vs. nerds dichotomy. "The Hard Times of RJ Berger" premieres on June 6 at 11 p.m., right after the "MTV Movie Awards."

"Memphis Beat:" This summer, TNT will debut yet another show about a quirky-but-brilliant detective, this time played by the extremely likeable Jason Lee ("My Name Is Earl," 2005-2009). Lee's Dwight Hendricks is not only a loose, freewheeling detective, but also a blues musician and an all-around Southern gentleman. It is nice to see Lee back in his "Earl" twang, especially with the bonus promise of musical performances. "Memphis Beat" premieres on June 22 at 10 p.m.

"Huge:" ABC Family presents another light, teen-oriented soap, this time set in a weight-loss camp. The charming Nikki Blonsky ("Hairspray," 2007) stars in the series, which comes from beloved "My So-Called Life" (1994-1995) creator Winnie Holzman and her daughter Savannah Dooley, promising a provocative, humorous take on a pertinent and sensitive topic. "Huge" premieres on June 28 at 9 p.m.

"Louie:" Though Louis CK already delved into observational family humor with his short-lived HBO sitcom "Lucky Louie" (2006-2007), the funnyman will be headlining a new show about his life as a comedian and a father on "Louie," the latest addition to FX's increasingly robust comedy line-up. The series will be a mix of stand-up and scripted segments derived from CK's comedy. "Louie" debuts on June 29 at 11 p.m.

"Covert Affairs:" Nearly every one of USA's distinctly frothy series will launch a new season this summer, and the network's newest original show should fit right in. Piper Perabo plays a newly promoted CIA field operative who teams up with a blind military intelligence agent (Christopher Gorham). Peter Gallagher (A '77), of "The OC" (2003-2007), and Sendhil Ramamurthy ("Heroes") promise to liven up this espionage drama. "Covert Affairs" premieres on July 13 at 10 p.m.

"Rubicon:" Since the premiere of "Mad Men" in 2007, and then "Breaking Bad" the following year, AMC has emerged as TV's most reliable source for high-quality drama. Now the network is adding a third show to its oeuvre with "Rubicon," a conspiracy thriller about a New York government think tank and the analyst (James Badge Dale) who begins to unravel the agency's mysteries. The two-hour series premiere airs on Aug. 1 at 8 p.m.

"The Big C:" Plenty of buzz has been building for this new Showtime series about a teacher and mother, played by Laura Linney, who starts to make big life changes when she learns that she has terminal cancer. Tufts alumnus Oliver Platt (LA '83) and "Precious" (2009) actress Gabourey Sidibe also star. "The Big C" premieres on Aug. 16 at 10:30 p.m.