James Glaser moves to different deanship

James Glaser is no longer the dean of undergraduate education, but he hasn't gone far.

Dean of Arts and Sciences Joanne Berger−Sweeney appointed Glaser over the summer as dean of academic affairs for arts and sciences. Glaser succeeds Vickie Sullivan, a professor of political science who has returned to the faculty full−time.

In an e−mail to faculty members, Berger−Sweeney praised Glaser's experience and expertise, calling him "the perfect choice" for his new position.

"Overall, under Dean Glaser, Undergraduate Education, Student Affairs and Student Services … [were] forged into a better and more unified organization," Berger−Sweeney, who came to the university from Wellesley this summer, said.

Glaser's successor as dean of undergraduate education has yet to be announced. An interim dean is expected to fill the position soon.

Glaser will now focus primarily on faculty affairs. He will split the responsibilities of overseeing departments in the School of Arts and Sciences with Andrew McClellan, who holds the same title.

Glaser will also be responsible for hiring faculty members, giving promotions and determining tenure, among other obligations. Academic affairs deans provide a liaison between the administration and departments and interdisciplinary programs, McClellan said.

In his old position, Glaser helped University President Lawrence Bacow establish the President's Task Force on the Undergraduate Experience. That task force is credited with initiating the Summer Scholars Program, the Snyder Lecture Series and a revision of the dean advising system, among other projects, Berger−Sweeney said.

Glaser also oversaw the Retention Task Force, which supported low−income students.

This task force led to the creation of the Health Career Fellows Program, new advising for recipients of federal Pell Grants, health insurance for students without coverage, a fund for disability testing for needy students and programming for first−generation college students, according to Berger−Sweeney.

Glaser said that he had achieved his objectives as dean of undergraduate education.

"I had come in with a set of goals and aspirations and I had accomplished all I hoped to accomplish," he said. "It was nearing the end of my tenure, and the [academic affairs] position fortuitously opened up."

As the process to replace Glaser as dean of undergraduate education continues, other members of the administration have assumed some of his old responsibilities, according to McClellan.

"[Glaser] will retain some of those jobs — a few central ones that he wants to keep — and I, and others, have added to their administrative load to enable him to move into the new job and to make sure that the functions of his former job are addressed without any loss," McClellan said.

McClellan has worked previously with Glaser and said he looks forward to working with him again. "I have tremendous faith in his ability to do this job and enormous respect and admiration for him as an administrator," McClellan said.

Glaser professed that he loved working as the dean of undergraduate education and said his new position is a positive change.

"It's a new, interesting opportunity for me to grow personally," he said.