Win Win' tells slightly flawed but heartwarming story

When you're pinned to the ground, you have to do whatever you can to get back in control. The wrestling−enthusiast characters at the heart of the new dramedy "Win Win" take drastic measures in order to survive — sometimes with tragic consequences.

For Mike Flaherty (Paul Giamatti), it seems like everything has gotten out of control. His water boiler and toilet are broken, his small law practice is struggling to stay afloat, the wrestling team he coaches never wins a match and his constant stress is beginning to take a toll on his health.

When he illegally exploits an elderly client with early dementia to be paid as his legal guardian, Mike assumes an unforeseen responsibility: taking care of the client's grandson, Kyle (Alex Shaffer), who arrives unexpectedly at his grandfather's doorstep. Irreverent and uninspired, but with a good heart, the teenage runaway finds warmth in the Flaherty household and instant success on the wrestling mats. Kyle's estranged, desperate mother, however, comes looking for him and threatens to expose Mike's original betrayal and undermine his good intentions.

Despite unoriginal voices for his characters, writer−director Thomas McCarthy ("The Visitor" (2003), "The Station Agent" (2008)) draws notable performances from his principal actors. Paul Giamatti does not disappoint as the go−to weak schlub character who manages to compensate for his cynicism and constant anxiety. Despite his arguably unforgivable mistakes, Giamatti packs his character with resilience and real warmth.

Giamatti's solid acting chops are complemented by the naturally talented Shaffer, a former high−school wrestling champion making his big−screen debut. Perfectly cast as Mike's houseguest, Shaffer is refreshingly subtle and unexpected as the damaged youth. As Kyle becomes an inspiration to his new family and his teammates, it is heartwrenching to watch his being forced to deal with his unpredictable, unstable mother.

It's a shame that the supremely talented supporting cast is awarded such limited screen time while Giamatti and Shaffer face off. As Mike's tough, morally−grounded wife, Jackie, the hilarious Amy Ryan (who was nominated for an Academy Award for 2007's "Gone Baby Gone") is severely underutilized. She gives a heartwarming performance as she transitions from skeptical to incredibly protective of Kyle, and Jackie memorably announces without shame that it will not be her fault if she "happens" to punch Kyle's culpable mom in the face.

With similarly amusing one−liners, certain characters deserved more attention. Deadpan−master Jeffrey Tambor ("Arrested Development" (2003−06)) is perfect as the frustrated assistant wrestling coach, while newcomer Clare Foley is charming as Mike's young daughter Abby.

The same goes for Bobby Cannavale, Mike's best friend, who inspires many laughs as he tries pathetically hard to be the cool guy. With such a talented batch of comedic actors, "Win Win" surprisingly lacks the comedic edge that might have lightened the film's depressing tone.

When Kyle gets into trouble, Jackie reassures him that "We all do stupid things." This important lesson is central to McCarthy's film, which is driven by the desperation and ethical quandaries with which his characters wrestle. What grounds "Win Win," though, is also what brings it down: the "stupid things" that Mike does are ultimately excused. At the cliche−laden moment when his secret is exposed, he justifies his actions by telling his family, "I never realized it would get this complicated," and we begrudgingly have to accept this to be sold on Mike's eventual triumph.

In his latest film, McCarthy folds mild wit and tenderness into his dreary Loserville, NJ setting but ultimately fails to successfully redeem his flawed, desperate hero. Strong performances by a supporting cast help to save "Win Win" from its imperfections, but these performances are clouded by predictable plot points and a too−uplifting conclusion. In a movie where team spirit reigns, we're left without a protagonist whom we really want to root for.