Police Briefs | Headline goes here

Drugs then runs

Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) responded to a call on Oct. 5 at 1:35 p.m. A student in Cousens Gym was having trouble breathing, which the student explained may have been caused by his recent use of cocaine. TUPD, Tufts Emergency Medical Services, Medford Fire Department and Armstrong Ambulance Service responded to the scene.

The student was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for further observation. A report was sent to the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs, but TUPD Sgt. Robert McCarthy is unsure if there will be any ramifications related to the student's use of cocaine. No carbon monoxide, but two pong tables

TUPD on Oct. 6 at 11:36 p.m. responded to a call from 45 Sawyer Ave., the current home of Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity, regarding a sounding carbon monoxide alarm. When the officers arrived on the scene, there was a large group of students standing on the porch outside. After talking to the students, the officers went into the house to investigate. They did not discover any carbon monoxide emissions, but they did discover two beer pong tables in the common room, which are against campus policy. Officers broke up the party and sent a report the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs. Towing the line

On Oct. 7 at 2:44 a.m. TUPD officers spotted a vehicle with expired registration parked on Talbot Avenue. The officers contacted the student who owned the vehicle and asked him to register the car before driving it again. The officers saw the vehicle parked in the Carmichael Hall parking lot on Saturday night, still without registration. The officers then had the vehicle towed, and told the student he could retrieve the car once he had officially registered it. Occupy Hillsides

Hillside Wine & Spirits and Medford Police Department called TUPD on Oct. 7 at 10:00 p.m. to report people on the roof of the liquor store. When the officers arrived on the scene, they discovered two female Tufts students sitting on top of the roof reading a book.

"They stated they didn't realize they were on the roof," said McCarthy. The students had apparently wandered onto the rooftop while exploring the Tufts Interfaith Center located on Winthrop Street behind the liquor store. The students were asked to leave and obliged.Early or Late? It's all relative

TUPD on Oct. 8 at 11:40 p.m. broke up a party on Sunset Road. McCarthy estimated there were 150 people at the party.

"For me, that's late," McCarthy said. "For the students, that's early. That's all I can say."

--