Student grazed by car at Curtis intersection

The Department of Public and Environmental Safety issued a Pedestrian Safety Alert on Nov. 16 via email following the second of two student-vehicle accidents that have occurred in the last week and a half at intersections bordering campus.

On Friday, a vehicle grazed a student at the intersection of Curtis Street and Curtis Avenue, according to the email. The student was uninjured.

On Nov. 8, another student was struck by a motor vehicle at the intersection of Packard Avenue and Powderhouse Boulevard and seriously injured. The student is undergoing treatment at Massachusetts General Hospital. 

Both incidents occurred after dusk, according to Director of Public and Environmental Safety Kevin Maguire. 

The alert also provided tips for staying safe while walking around or near campus, which included wearing light-colored or easily visible clothing at night, establishing eye contact with drivers when crossing an intersection and being aware of traffic signals and crosswalks. 

According to Maguire, while motorists are more likely to suffer legal consequences in a pedestrian accident, the pedestrian is usually in more danger.

"A pedestrian walking has much more to lose than a motorist driving," Maguire said.