Mass. Atty. General Coakley speaks at Tufts

Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley, a candidate for the democratic gubernatorial nomination, spoke at an event hosted by the Tufts Democrats yesterday evening.
Coakley told the group of students that they should actively participate in the democratic process and should take advantage of the education opportunities offered by the university.

“I think it is important that you are at least engaged tonight in hearing from somebody who is running for governor, [not only] because it is an important office, but [because] everyone we elect is important ... whether it’s your school committee, or your congresswoman,” she said. “I hope that whether you ever run yourselves or not, that you will stay engaged in making sure that democracy works.”

Coakley, who graduated from Williams College in 1975, briefly discussed her own background and education. Regarding her own political experiences, she said that she is relatively new to political office. She first ran for an elected position in 1997. She explained that because she lives in Medford, she often passes Tufts. She also worked with the university during her time as the District Attorney of Middlesex County. In her current capacity as attorney general, she has worked on many issues, including sexual assault, financial malfeasance and workplace issues.

“I had a chance as attorney general to do a lot of things, including trying to hold Wall Street accountable for basically gambling with a lot of our money and almost wrecking our economy,” she said.

According to Coakley, this issue remains important in her campaign for governor. One of her goals for Massachusetts includes the promotion of a more prosperous but fair economy. She also spoke about the need for more privileged citizens to help those who are less fortunate.

“It is, I think, incumbent on all of us to not only do well, as you all have as students, but [also] to do good, to think about the Commonwealth, to think about what it means for people who don’t have the advantage to be able to go to a college and get that education,” she said.

If she becomes governor, Coakley said she would make improving access to quality education a major initiative of her administration. She said she would seek improvements from pre-kindergarten through college, and advocated for a longer and more structured school day for elementary school students.

“Maybe, by the third grade, [a student] is not reading well, what’s the reason for that and how do we figure that out?” she asked. “If we do not get [children] back on track ... chances are good they are not going to be Tufts students, and they may drop out of school, and they may not have the advantages ... to get a good job and to have a livable wage.”

As part of her education initiatives, Coakley proposed placing additional emphasis on computer science and good writing — skills that she said will be increasingly important to a wide range of new professions.

She also expressed concern about climate change, and hopes to move the state toward a more environmentally friendly economy.

“We need good people who will say, ‘We need to think about how we are going to reverse climate change, how we are going to get people around without driving cars, and what we are going to do for smart growth for Massachusetts,” she said.

Health care policy was an additional concern Coakley addressed, and she said she would work to keep it affordable and to maintain its quality. She also discussed the suicide of her brother, who suffered from bipolar disorder, and said she hopes to improve the state’s mental healthcare system.

“I understand, having lived with that, how difficult that is,” she said. “I think in 2014 we should in Massachusetts ... be treating our behavioral and our mental health the same way we do diabetes or heart concerns.”

She concluded with an appeal to the broader population to assist future generations.

“We can grow this economy for everybody, we are going to give you a chance to get on that ladder and do well, we are going to provide our best education possible ... so that you have a chance to compete in the future, that your kids will have a chance to compete in that future, hopefully with a cleaner climate,” she said.

After her presentation, Coakley took questions from students about improving the economies of small towns and on what improvements are necessary for the mental healthcare system. She explained that she would provide support to small businesses and advocate for the creation of new industries in older mill towns. She also said she hopes to have Massachusetts increase its capacity for both the prevention and treatment of mental health issues.