'Machete Kills' exhausts viewer amusement

Robert Rodriguez's Machete Kills" begins with a mock preview of an even more ridiculous sequel, "Machete Kills Again ... In Space." That should tell you everything you need to know about this film.

"Machete Kills," starring Danny Trejo as Machete, is the second and latest installment in Rodriguez's over-the-top "Mex-ploitation" series. Like its predecessor, "Machete," (2010) Rodriguez delivers a B-film with A-quality action - all in the service of parodying the action movie genre.

The movie tells the story of Machete, a former Mexican federal agent gone rogue. After his partner is shot and killed by a mysterious man in a Mexican wrestling mask during a shootout, Machete is ordered by United States President Rathcock (played by Charlie Sheen, here credited under his birth name, Carlos Est?vez) to assassinate Mexican revolutionary Marcos Mendez (Dem?in Bichir), who is preparing to launch a nuclear missile at Washington, D.C.

"Machete Kills" does not even attempt to show any substance as a film. Rodriguez is an auteur of tacky, grindhouse cinematography, and the sole pleasure of the film is watching him seamlessly handle retro, action film conventions. The movie touches on all the typical action movie tropes - people jump out of helicopters, cars and speedboats