Letter from the Editor: Introducing our columnists

Hello again, Tufts!

We now have three weeks of classes under our belts, and this week marks our first week of full production. That means the Daily is really "daily" again! We're firing on all cylinders and ready to bring you up-to-date content five days of the week.

In addition to the production changes, we're also introducing our fall semester columnists for the first time this week. With a mix of new and old writers, our columnists will be providing comical musings and cutting insight across the Features, Arts, Op-Ed and Sports sections.

Starting the week in Features, we have Lex Erath's "Sugar & Spice" column returning for another semester to cover day-to-day topics in a humorous and witty manner. Next comes Stina Stannik's column from abroad, where she will cover her time spent in Ghana with discussion on a multitude of topics. Wednesday will feature Lauren Samuel's "Wanderers in Space," providing ideas for fun things to do in the area off campus. To round out Features, we have Miranda Willson, who will write on topics in feminism, hookup culture, sexual health, gender stereotypes and more.

Our Arts section kicks off with "Around the Book Block" written by Helen Schmidt, in which she'll discuss all things book-related and the future of publishing. Vincent Carbone will tackle themes and topics surrounding media journalism with his "Media & Me" column.  Next we'll have a personal exploration of music and how people connect to it with Eva Batalla-Mann's "How to Make a Mixtape" and lastly there's Nikki Blank's "A SWUG's Life" for all of your satirical advice to navigating Tufts' culture. "SWUG," for those who are wondering, stands for "Senior Washed-Up Girl."

In Op-Ed, we begin with Adam Kaminski in "The Cool Column," a continuation from last semester in which he recounts an interesting adventure or habit he took on for the week in a style of immersion journalism. Next is another continuation from past semesters: Walt Laws-MacDonald's "Show Me the Money" is a mix of commentary and explanation on topics in the realm of finance, economics and politics. Rebecca Solomon and Pooja Sivaraman dish out comical, non-kosher advice about sex, relationships and general life at Tufts with their "New York Style Delhi" column, while Henry Jani addresses pop culture topics and college life in the style of letters with "Reply All."

Finally, in Sports, we start with Luke Machamer's "Back Around the Horn" exploring the week's hottest sports narratives and the debate surrounding them.  Then we have "The Gold Standard" from Sam Gold, a look at the intersection of sports and ethics. Rounding out the Sports columnists are Tyler Maher and his "Beantown Beat," a weekly update on the state of Boston sports, and Steven Hefter with "The Association," an early preview of the upcoming NBA season.

You can reach out to any columnist with questions or comments through their contact information listed at the bottom of each column. Also, feel free to reach out to the Daily as well with any concerns at daily@tuftsdaily.com.

Sincerely,

Alex Schroeder

Editor-in-Chief