Souvaine reappointed to National Science Board

Diane Souvaine, vice provost for research and professor of computer science, was appointed to a second term this fall on the National Science Board (NSB), which will last until 2020. She was appointed to her first term in 2008. 

According to Souvaine, the NSB’s principal roles include formulating policy for the National Science Foundation (NSF) and advising the federal government on science and engineering policy.

The 24 members of the board of the NSB include prominent individuals in many diverse fields of science and engineering. Souvaine explained that board members serve six-year terms and are chosen based on their accomplishments in research, education and public service. As a returning board member, Souvaine noted that she is looking forward to her continued work for the NSB.

“I greatly appreciate this opportunity to continue serving with such fantastic colleagues to oversee the [NSF]'s portfolio in the behavioral, social, natural, mathematical and engineering sciences as well as in its education and training mission in these fields, and to conduct timely studies on related issues of importance to the country,” Souvaine told the Daily in an email.

NSB Vice Chairman Kelvin Droegemeier noted that Souvaine’s ability to understand a situation from multiple perspectives is particularly valuable in her work for the NSB. He also expressed his admiration of Souvaine’s accomplishments with the NSB.

“I am thrilled that Dr. Souvaine has been appointed to a second term on the National Science Board,Droegemeier told the Daily in an email. “She is an extraordinary individual in both the depth and breadth of her knowledge, especially regarding academic research and the NSF mission, and has demonstrated superb leadership in chairing several Board committees.”