TCU Senate update

The Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate spent a large part of its weekly meeting on Sunday night hotly debating an appeal from the recently approved Tufts Thai Student Association for funding that the TCU Allocations Board had previously denied.

The Thai Student Association, which had asked the Allocations Board for approximately $60 to provide Thai tea in conjunction with a Thai Horror Movie Night, argued that because the tea constituted an element of Thai culture, it should be included in the funding TCU would provide. Some senators expressed concern that the tea served as an incentive for students to attend the movie night, and pointed to the fact that TCU policy does not permit the funding of food incentives for student groups.

The Thai Students Association also requested funding to bring a Muay Thai martial arts instructor to campus in place of a Thai Food Night, for which it had previously requested funding.

After many rounds of debating, the Senate voted 17-8-1 to approve $710.05 in funding for the Thai Student Association out of over $900 that the association had originally requested, with TCU President Robert Joseph, a senior, abstaining. The funding includes the Thai tea and part of the cost for the Muay Thai instructor, but did not contain the cost of hiring the instructor for the event, as the Thai Student Association had not yet determined that exact cost.

Community Representative for the Asian American Center Betty Fong expressed her frustration with the Senate's conduct of the appeals process, which was confusing for both the Thai Student Association representatives and for the representatives from United for Immigrant Justice, who observed the meeting. Fong, a sophomore, said she was also frustrated by a few racially insensitive comments made by senators, as well as senators interrupting and talking over one another.

The Senate also approved funding requests of $650 for Tufts Friends of Israel, $475 for Cheese Club, $270 for GlobeMed and $6,718.20 for the Crafts Center. All were approved with large majorities.

Earlier in the meeting, Senator Allison Aaronson, a sophomore, was elected diversity and community affairs officer to replace the former officer Andrew Núñez, who stepped down last month. She was the only candidate for the position who accepted her nomination.

In her acceptance speech, Aaronson testified to her goal to serve as a translator for groups that have not had access to the Senate thus far. Acknowledging her privilege, Aaronson said she wanted to advocate for and hear from less privileged voices on campus rather than advancing her own social justice agenda.

Joseph told the Senate about two new administration working groups focusing on alcohol and drug-use on and off campus. The first, chaired by Director of Health Education Ian Wong, is looking for first-year students to discuss the relationship between their first year and orientation experience and students' introduction to alcohol and drugs at Tufts.

The second, chaired by Health Educator and Prevention Specialist Beth-Anne Farrow, is seeking upperclassmen to examine how students living off campus think about drug and alcohol safety and how Tufts can ensure students' safety in the off-campus drug and alcohol environment.

Senators also discussed upcoming speakers in the Senate, the state of alumni donations and the possibility of expanding the joint undergraduate-graduate programs.