Visiting the Hill this week

MONDAY

"BME Seminar: Charles Lai"

Details: Charles Lai from Massachusetts General Hospital will speak as part of the Biomedical Engineering Seminar Series.

When and Where: 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m., SciTech Center Room 136

Sponsor: School of Engineering

"2015 Leontief Prize: Macroeconomics in the Age of Climate Change"

Details: Duncan Foley and Lance Taylor, both professors of economics at the New School for Social Research, will receive the 2015 Leontief Prize for Advancing the Frontiers of Economic Thought. Foley and Taylor will then deliver a lecture on the relationship between macroeconomics and climate change.

When and Where: 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m., Cabot ASEAN Auditorium

Sponsor: Global Development and Environment Institute

WEDNESDAY

"Future Shock: Responding to Demographic, Economic and Environmental Challenges in Planning American Cities"

Details: Urban designer and architect David Dixon will discuss challenges in city planning in light of current socioeconomic and environmental trends as part of the UEP Colloquium Series.

When and Where: 12:00 p.m. - 1:15 p.m., Sophia Gordon Multipurpose Room

Sponsor: Department of Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning

"On the Underground Railroad"

Details: Steven Nelson, a professor of African and African American art history at UCLA, will deliver a lecture at Tufts as part of the Art History Spring Lecture Series. 

When and Where: 5:30 p.m., 11 Talbot Ave. Seminar Room 103

Sponsor: Department of Art and Art History

"The Future of American Superpower: Implications for Security, Politics and Markets"

Details: Ian Bremmer, president and founder of think tank Eurasia Group, and James Stavridis, dean of The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, will discuss the future of American world power and the political and economical implications of America's future role in the world. Bremmer's book on the subject, "Superpower: Three Choices for America's Role in the World" (2015) is forthcoming. The discussion will be followed by a networking session.

When and Where: 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m., Cabot ASEAN Auditorium

Sponsors: SovereigNET, Tufts Financial Network

THURSDAY

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection: Protecting American Agriculture"

Details: Sean D. Smith, public affairs and border community liaison for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, will discuss his work in agricultural inspection as part of the Environmental Studies Lunch and Learn Program.

When and Where: 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m., Lincoln Filene Center Rabb Room

Sponsor: Environmental Studies Program

"ME Seminar: Jack Whitehead"

Details: Jack Whitehead, scientist emeritus at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, will give a lecture on fluids as part of the Mechanical Engineering Seminar Series. 

When and Where: 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m., Nelson Auditorium (Anderson Hall Room 112)

Sponsor: School of Engineering

"FRAMING: BLACK. FILM SERIES AND DISCUSSION"

Details: As part of an ongoing film discussion series led by Lecturer in Drama and Dance Khary Jones, the film "Sugar Hill" (1993) will be screened, and it will be followed by a discussion.

When and Where: 6:30 p.m., Alumnae Lounge

Sponsors: Consortium of Studies in Race, Colonialism and Diaspora, Africana Studies, Department of Drama and Dance