Tufts Sports Weekend Preview

Though several teams have already wrapped up their seasons, the winter season — and more importantly, the championship season — isn't over yet. Several teams are still battling their ways through the postseason, with their targets set on NESCAC crowns or even bigger prizes, and the Daily is here to give you a rundown of what to watch this weekend.

Undoubtedly, the event of the weekend on campusis the women's basketball NESCAC Championship game, which will take place this weekend at the Cousens Gym as the No. 1 seed Jumbos hunt for their third straight NESCAC title. The action kicks off tomorrow with the semifinal round, as Tufts takes on the No. 5 seed Colby at 2 p.m. and continues with the championship game at noon on Sunday. The No. 2 and No. 3 seeds, Amherst and Bowdoin, duke it out at 4 p.m. tomorrow for the right to make it to Sunday's contest. After finishing the regular season undefeated in the NESCAC (22-2 overall), the Jumbos are the favorites to win it all with the help of their smothering defense. Tufts has not lost since Dec. 12, winning 17 straight games since then, including its only meeting against Colby this year in a 54-45 finish.

Men’s basketball also enters its NESCAC championship weekend, traveling to Trinity as the tournament's No. 3 seed, with just as strong conference title hopes as the women's team. Tufts plays No. 2-seeded Amherst, a team they beat 84-73 just three weeks ago, at 4 p.m. tomorrow. If Tufts can repeat that result, it will remain at Trinity for the championship game on Sunday at noon against the winner of the No. 1 seed Trinity and No. 4 seed Middlebury matchup. Tufts looks to get its prolific offense, which led the NESCAC in scoring this season, going early against an equally high-powered Amherst offense.

Hockey begins its NESCAC tournament this weekend after just barely holding on last weekend with a tie and a loss to make it into the tournament as the No. 8 seed. As a result, the team travels to Williamstown to take on the top-seeded Williams Ephs tomorrow at 4:30 p.m. The Jumbos suffered losses in both games against the Ephs this season, but the NESCAC has proven recently that no team is safe from an upset. The Jumbos, who have experience battling out of the bottom seed, having upset the No. 1 seed and eventual national champion Trinity Bantams in the quarterfinals last year.

The men and women’s track and field teams, both in the process of cementing their strongest seasons in recent years, are making the short ride over to Boston University this weekend for the NEICAAA Championships, also known as Open New England’s. The Jumbos are looking to build up momentum at this meet, which features New England schools from across Divs. I, II and III and is one of the last meets before the NCAA Championships next month.