Women's squash prepares for Walker Cup showdown

squa-w
Junior Chloe Kantor returns the ball during the College Women's National Team Championship on Feb. 18, 2018.

The Women's College Squash Association National Championships kicks off this weekend on Feb. 22 in Hartford, Conn., the home of 13-time NESCAC champion Trinity. The Bantams split hosting duties with the nearby Wesleyan Cardinals of Middletown, Conn. through Feb. 24, when five champions will be crowned.

The tournament is set up in a five division format; each division contains eight teams in a single-elimination bracket. This year, Tufts, 10–6, the overall No. 17 seed, holds the No. 1 seed in the C Division (also known as the Walker Cup), followed by divisional rivals Bates, Hamilton and Wesleyan. The NESCAC, considered the top women's squash division next to the Ivy League, packs eight teams into the 13–25 seeds in this year’s tournament, a sign of an evenly-matched conference. The one outlier from that bunch is the perennially dominant Trinity, which holds the No. 3 seed. Harvard sits atop the rankings with a perfect 10–0 record, while Princeton (13–1) holds the No. 2 seed. 

The Jumbos have scratched and clawed their way towards the middle of the NESCAC scrum since 2015, climbing from No. 26. in the nation to their current rank of No. 17. A Tufts victory over Amherst last week in the NESCAC tournament would have sent the Jumbos to the B Division, but the 6–3 loss to the No. 16 Mammoths (8–8) relegated the Jumbos to the C Division.

Despite the disappointment, the top seeding in the C Division provides a clear opportunity to claim a national title.

“Our goal is to win the C Flight at nationals,” coach Joseph Raho said, who added that the team is unfazed by missing out on the B Division. “We’re not there yet, but we’re moving towards that level.”

With a win in the C Division, Tufts can cement themselves as the primary threat to the NESCAC top four. Even during the regular season it seemed like the Jumbos would make the breakthrough, pushing Amherst to two 6–3 contests. Williams and Middlebury join Amherst in the B Division, who hold the No. 13, No. 15 and No. 16 seeds respectively.

Senior captain Chista Irani knows that the team’s strong regular season was vital in getting to the top of the competitive C Division.

“I can not be more proud of the hard work the team put in this season to get us to the top seed in the C Division," Irani said.

Seasoned by tough NESCAC matches all year, Irani feels her squad is going to play their best squash at the right time.

“The team is very ready to have a good weekend of competitive squash,” she said.

Joining Tufts, Bates, Hamilton, and Wesleyan is Dickinson College, Franklin and Marshall College, Mount Holyoke College and Saint Lawrence University. As the top seed, Tufts will most likely face bottom-seeded Saint Lawrence in the opening round, although the bracket will be finalized and released in the coming days.

If Tufts can defend its seeding, it would be a big step on their way to the B Division. With a potential rematch looming against a Bates team who will certainly be hungry for victory, this year's Walker Cup is shaping up to be a captivating affair with significant implications for the future of NESCAC squash.