Women’s volleyball wins decisive 3-set victory against Bates

The Jumbos ceremoniously break their three game loss streak.

Cora Cunningham pictured against Susquehanna University on Sept. 23, 2023.

Cora Cunningham is pictured against Susquehanna University on Sept. 23, 2023.

On Saturday, the Tufts’ women’s volleyball team traveled to Lewiston, Maine where they executed a conclusive, three-set victory against Bates.

The Jumbos had an incredibly strong showing both offensively and defensively, with 47 total points to the Bobcats’ 17. Tufts also had 34 kills as opposed to Bates’ 14.

Cora Cunningham, senior middle and opposite hitter, explained that because of the team’s loss to Colby on Friday, the team came back with even more resolve.

“The Bates match was a high-energy and high-intensity game,” Cunningham wrote in an email to the Daily. “After coming off a loss the night before, we were determined to play what we consider to be Tufts Volleyball, so dialing in, focusing on our jobs, and communicating constantly and efficiently on the court and the bench were key in creating an atmosphere that allowed us to succeed.”

Tufts won all three sets, seemingly with very little competition. Though Bates scored the first point of the match, Tufts almost immediately came back to win the first set 25–11.

Tufts continued its dominant lead through the second set, which it won 25–14, and the third set, with a score of 25–10.

Offensively, Tufts was led by senior setter Rileigh Farragher and Tori Goldin, senior outside and right side hitter, who had eight and 11 kills respectively. Tufts also ran an impressive defense, only giving up 14 kills throughout the entire match with an especially strong showing by senior libero Megan Harrison, who had 16 digs.

Right now, the Jumbos are ranked No. 9 in the NESCAC, with a 2–4 in-conference record and a 7–7 record overall. 

This game broke Tufts’ three game loss streak, and Cunningham explained that the team is hoping to use this to change the tide of their season.

“The Bates game was absolutely an improvement from past games this season,” Cunningham wrote. “We embrace every match and opponent we face as an opportunity to get better, and I believe this game especially demonstrated that. Our team was able to maintain relatively consistent leads and embodied the attack mentality in every aspect of the game, most notably defensively and from the service line.”

In the future, the Jumbos hope to continue improving their skills to be more competitive within the NESCAC, Cunningham explained.

“As a team, our main goal right now is to better our game in terms of consistency and mental toughness so that we can make the NESCAC tournament,” Cunningham wrote. “The NESCAC is incredibly competitive this year, so we are embracing the point-by-point and day-by-day mentality to really focus on the little things that will allow us to succeed in the long-term.”

The top eight teams will make the NESCAC tournament, so the Jumbos will be looking for more conference wins in upcoming games. The Jumbos will be back at home next Friday when they will take on Williams.