Where you read it first | Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Letter from the Editor in Chief: The semester in preview

Here's what you can expect from the Daily in spring 2024.

West Hall

West Hall is pictured on Jan. 16.

Dear readers,

Welcome back to the Hill! My name is Rachel Liu, and I am the new editor in chief of The Tufts Daily. As the Daily resumes operations, I owe a major thank you to the numerous writers, editors and designers who invested time over their winter breaks to craft the first issue of 2024. This semester, we will publish online every weekday and in print on Thursdays, though for the first two weeks we will be operating on a reduced schedule. Sign up for our newsletter to never miss an issue.

This spring, we'll publish four special issues. February marks not only a leap day, but also the Daily’s 44th anniversary. In the first special issue, Daily Week, we flip the usual script and interview our reporters. This issue features staff and alumni profiles, examining our history and future as a newspaper. Next, the annual April Fools’ issue, our longstanding silly tradition, is not to be missed.

We welcome admitted students in April with the Jumbo Month special issue, which highlights the communities they’ll find at Tufts. Finally, we reach the capstone issue of the year: Commencement. This comprehensive edition, roughly four times as long as our typical print papers, celebrates the accomplishments of the Class of 2024.

Over the past semester, we’ve reported on resident assistants’ first union contract, student rallies for Palestine, Somerville’s search for a police chief and city council elections, among other moments in local and university news.

Our opinion desk received an outpouring of letters to the editor and op-eds. In bylined Viewpoint pieces, the Daily’s opinion writers articulated stances on global, national, city and campus issues.

The features team produced long-form reporting on everything from the Tufts American Sign Language program to a local park redesign. Arts writers discussed the “Marie Antoinette” production and the Boston arts scene.

Our sports reporters followed the Jumbos’ fall NCAA Tournament runs before diving into winter sports coverage. Science journalists caught up with former university president turned genetic researcher, Anthony Monaco.

As Tufts’ independent daily newspaper, we strive to fulfill our mission of fair, insightful reporting that holds timely relevance for the community. Each article goes through multiple rounds of fact-checking before it is published. We seek to faithfully represent a multitude of perspectives. We take requests for correction seriously and take responsibility for any factual errors we identify in our articles, which we promptly correct with an editor’s note. Please send general feedback and corrections to daily@tuftsdaily.com.

I further recognize that these pages fall short of including every voice on campus. If there is a story we’re missing, or ways we can improve, I am receptive to your comments and closely monitor the anonymous tip line at tuftsdaily.com/tips and our email inbox. We also welcome your letters and op-eds, which you may direct to opinion@tuftsdaily.com.

I’d like to briefly introduce the rest of the Managing Board. The Daily’s managing editors are Julieta Grané and Merry Jiao, and our associate editors are Marlee Stout and Arielle Weinstein. Olivia White is returning as production director and Isabel Francis is the business director. The various sections of the newspaper are additionally led by dedicated editors who comprise the spring 2024 executive board. You can view the full masthead at tuftsdaily.com/about. We look forward to sharing our work with you this semester.

If you’re a current student, I would love to meet you here at the Daily. Anyone with an interest in written or visual storytelling, in designing the front page, in catching typos or in taking any role in this vibrant community of journalists is welcome here. Attend our general interest meeting on Jan. 30 or drop by our Open House on Feb. 1. It’s never too late to join; visit tuftsdaily.com/join-us to get in touch.

I am excited to embark on this semester’s journey. It may be winter now, but by the last issue, my routine 5:50 p.m. walk to the Daily office will take place in broad daylight. As seasons change, I hope the Daily can be there with you each step of the way!

Pax et Lux,

Rachel Liu

Editor in Chief, Spring 2024