Keep dining halls open longer

Carmichael, Dewick and other Tufts dining establishments should stay open later to better accommodate students.

Dewick-MacPhie Dining Center is pictured on Oct. 26, 2017.

Tufts’ dining establishments are an integral part of the university. Students rely on them for meals primarily because Tufts’ location is suburban enough that walking elsewhere is not always a viable option. These establishments are most important for first-year students, who are mandated to enroll in the Tufts Premium Meal Plan despite its absurdly unrealistic expectation that students will actually use anywhere near 400 swipes. This is especially true since Tufts no longer allows students to “double swipe” at retail locations within the same meal period. While the flaws of the meal plan are certainly an issue, I want to highlight another important topic related to Tufts Dining: dining hall hours of operation.

This semester, the dining halls are open as early as 7 a.m. That said, all dining establishments at Tufts are closed by 10 p.m., except for Late Night at Commons. Yet, there are some classes that go as late as 9 p.m. By then, only the Commons Marketplace and Hodgdon Food-on-the-Run are open, and of the two, only Hodgdon accepts meal swipes. Since the technicalities of the Premium Plan prevent students from double swiping at Hodgdon, the main dining halls, Fresh at Carmichael Dining Center and Dewick-MacPhie Dining Center are the best option for students looking to maximize the value of each visit. The early closing times of Carmichael and Dewick make it very difficult for students to get their money’s worth for each swipe.

Dining halls also serve as a great study location. Many students study for hours in the dining halls, which are the only places on campus where students can get two meals with one swipe by staying in a dining hall. For students on a reduced meal plan, this perk is vital. For this reason, many dining halls should accommodate students who study late into the night by providing both a study space and food. Of course, Tufts already does this in the form of Late Night at Commons. However, this only happens on weekends, when students are more likely to be socializing than studying compared to weekdays. Back in 2020, Carmichael had late-night food, which provided students with a space to eat and study late into the night. Later hours at dining halls would greatly help students.

Having longer hours should not just be a goal for the dining halls. Kindlevan Café, Hotung Café and the Commons should all stay open longer as they service students studying in the Science and Engineering Complex and the Mayer Campus Center respectively. Given that the Campus Center closes at midnight most weekdays, it only makes sense that the Commons should remain open as long as students stick around to study and socialize. Similarly, the Science and Engineering Complex remains open most days until 1 a.m., while Kindlevan closes at 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and at 4 p.m. on Fridays. The Tufts administration should prioritize fixing this gap in food service.

Tufts has a long history of excelling in the world of food. Jean Mayer, the 10th President of Tufts, was a leading voice in the world of nutrition. According to the New York Times, his “work as a nutritionist helped clarify the nature of hunger and obesity and expanded the Federal food stamp and school lunch programs.” Former Massachusetts Sen. Edward M. Kennedy praised Dr. Mayer, saying, “Jean Mayer made hunger unacceptable in America.” Tufts ought to honor Mayer’s legacy and ensure that food is available for all students at all times. The dynamics around the demand for food have changed since Mayer’s presidency. Tufts needs to change with them.