Where you read it first | Monday, May 13, 2024

Gang members arraigned in rape case

Rapes in Somerville last fall have caused gangs to become an issue of concern for police departments in the area.

Two Somerville girls were allegedly raped in Foss Park in October by three gang members. The girls, ages 14 and 17, were both deaf and the elder one was confined to a wheelchair because of cerebral palsy. The three young Salvadorian men charged with the crime have been linked to the MS-13 gang, which originated in Los Angeles.

At the end of January the defendants in the rapes were arraigned. Jose Ortiz, 20, of Boston and Carlos Escobar, 18 of Somerville, were both held on $50,000 bail. Jesus Pleitez, 19, also of Somerville was held on $100,000 bail, according to the Somerville Journal.

Middlesex District Attorney Emily LaGrassa reported the charges as seven counts of aggravated rape, two counts of assault with intent to rape, four counts of indecent assault and battery on a person over 14, and two counts of assault with intent to rape a child, and rape of a child.

In light of the rapes, Cesar de la Torre, Medford Police Department's local gang specialist, has assured residents that there is very little gang activity in the Medford area. "We don't perceive there to be any gang problem," he said.

De la Torre said most of the issues surrounding the local gangs have to do with recruitment. The Medford population is particularly helpful in providing "continuos feedback" said de la Torre. Anytime "a youth sees tagging or gang colors they report it immediately. It's a small town and we know most of the kids." This helps the police to more quickly recognize outsiders. Last summer there were several incidents but the problem was solved with stepped up patrols, he said.

According to de la Torre Medford has a Youth Violence Task Force which watches areas where groups of youths loiter and drug deals often occur. He said an unmarked car with a plainclothes policeman patrols one such area.

He also mentioned the majority of problems occur amongst non-affiliated youth groups. They "have no colors or insignia" and are generally groups of local kids.

There has been little attention given to either victim since the initial media hype died down, and the 17-year-old has been confined to her house, under police recommendation. The District Attorney has even suggested the family move.

Foss Park, where the incident occurred, is located in eastern Somerville, at the end of Broadway. This was an area formerly inhabited by Italians but now the Latino population has risen from two to nine percent according to The Boston Globe.

The Latino community is making efforts to help the police combat the growing gang problem. At the end of last year almost 100 Latinos gathered at a meeting held by a coalition of Latino leaders. Community leader Maria Madrid could not recall any similar meetings in the past.

The gathering attempted to bring together those willing to battle the gang problem. "None of the Latinos want to have gangs... or have kids on the street raping young women,'' said Sylvia Saavedra-Keber of Concilio Hispano Inc., who helped to organize the meeting.

De la Torre notes that although the MS-13 gang is "a violent, vicious group" they often stay in their local neighborhood, having little effect on either the Tufts or Medford community. The name MS-13 is believed to come from the Spanish "Mara Salvatruchas", slang for guerillas, and Thirteenth Street in Los Angeles.

Attacks earlier in the summer had been blamed on the gang such as the beating of a woman wearing gang colors and a kidnapping; the Globe also reported.