Where you read it first | Sunday, May 19, 2024

Capen Blaze destroys two houses

Over one hundred people looked on in shock as two three-story Medford homes were destroyed by a four-alarm fire Friday afternoon. No one was injured in the fire, but two residences rented by Tufts students were also damaged.

Students, administrators, and Medford residents lined the streets as 20 fire engines from at least eight departments fought the flames at the corner of Capen and Winthrop Streets for more than three hours.

Biology Professor Victoria Meller and another Tufts staff member lived at the now-destroyed 44-46 Winthrop Street but were not home at the time of the fire.

The Medford Fire Department placed early estimates of property damage in the range of $1 million.

"They're pretty much gone," Medford Fire Department Deputy Edward O'Brian said of the houses at 7 Capen Street and 44-46 Winthrop Street. "There'll be structural damage, major structural damage." Fire hoses, which shoot thousands of gallons of high-pressure water per minute, were a large cause of the destruction.

The fire started around 2:45 p.m. at 7 Capen Street and spread quickly to the neighboring structures.

Gail Landry, a resident of 46 Winthrop Street, said she heard a loud explosion while in her kitchen. She watched as the second of two motorcycles under the porch of 7 Capen Street blew up in front of her eyes. Minutes later, Landry was chased out of her house by the flames.

Medford fire officials have not determined the cause of the blaze.

"They're leaning towards the motorcycles... that is probably the cause," O'Brian said. "It's under investigation, and it will be for a while."

The houses at 7 Capen and 44-46 Winthrop were completely gutted by the fire and the roofs of both homes collapsed. The garage of 50 Winthrop Street, a house rented by students, also burned to the ground.

Fire Trucks from Cambridge, Somerville, Somerset, Medford, Arlington, Massport, Malden, and Winchester were all called in to fight the fire.

Many administrators were at the scene consoling those involved, including President Larry Bacow, Deans of Students Bruce Reitman, Dean of Judicial Affairs Veronica Carter, and Residential Life Coordinator Jen Bevins.

Three Capen Street- the home of 13 Tufts students next-door to where the blaze began- suffered minimal structural damage. Part of the roof was lost to the fire, and some clothing was damaged by water when firefighters entered the house to fight the flames at the rear of 7 Capen Street.

But the house is without electricity, gas, and water, and students are temporarily residing at the Best Western Hotel in Alewife. The landlord's insurance is paying for the stay. Meller will reside with a friend for the time being.

Tufts is also be assisting those affected by the fire, Reitman said. "We're providing help if they need it - coordinating clothing donations, providing meals, contacting professors if they lost books," he said.

Bevins said that the displaced students were offered free meal vouchers from Tufts and will be given housing if needed. The students who live at 3 Capen St. expect to return home soon.