Top Ten | Sports Emmy Awards

In honor of former Daily sports editor Elliott Wiley winning his first Emmy as a production assistant on ESPN's SportsCenter, this week's installment of the Top Ten recognizes sports figures with our own version of the prestigious TV awards. And the Emmy goes to...

10) Best Director- Billy Beane for once again leading his Oakland A's from mediocrity at the All Star break to playoff contention in September.

9) Best Supporting Actor- The NFL for making Week 2 of its season honorary "Hurricane Relief Weekend." The league, along with several major networks, is sponsoring a Katrina relief telethon, which along with donations from players and owners, is focusing attention on restoring the Gulf Coast.

8) Best Supporting Actress- Kerri Walsh has worked with beach volleyball teammate Misty May to win both Olympic Gold and a world championship. Walsh is now recognized, mainly by fans calling her Misty, wherever she plays. Though she lacks the porn-star style name, Walsh and her washboard abs and deadly spikes have been crucial in elevating the popularity of beach volleyball across the country.

7) Best Reality Program- This award goes to Philadelphia, and we're not talking about the Real World. The Eagles' Donovan McNabb/Terrell Owns saga generated more tabloid-worthy news than half of Hollywood, and the drama is still unfolding as Philly looks for its second consecutive trip to the Superbowl.

6) Best Mini Series- The 2004 World Series was mini in duration (four games), but far from small in its outcome as it gave the Boston Red Sox their first title in 86 years.

5) Best Drama- After a lost season and countless battles between players and owners, the NHL finally reached an agreement and will drop the puck this winter. This would have been a more convincing win in the drama category had anyone in the sporting world actually cared that the NHL was about a centimeter away from going under.

4) Best Comedy- The Colorado Rockies organization. With GM Dan O'Dowd at the helm, the Rockies are the worst of the worst in the National League with a 61-87 record. In a ball park that exponentially favors hitting over pitching, the team does not have one player with more than 17 homeruns.

3) Best Actress- Teenaged golfing sensation Morgan Pressel came within two strokes of beating Birdy Kim at this summer's US Women's Open. The feisty Pressel yells at herself on the course and has been known to cry when she misses a shot. She also has picked a rivalry with Michelle Wie by not-so-subtly insinuating that Wie cares more about herself than her sport. Look for Pressel to go Happy Gilmore and chuck her club, hopefully not at Wie, in the near future.

2) Best Actor- Terrell Owens wins this one hands down. Not only does the man dance, he can play any role including victim, over-the-top prima donna and whiny, obstinate six year old.

1) Best Made for TV Movie- I Did Not (Knowingly) Take Steroids: The Rafael Palmeiro Story. Who would have thought that Raffy, Mr. Future Hall-of-Famer and all around good guy, would see the season in which he amassed his 3000th hit overshadowed by yet another steroids scandal? Honestly, who thought this one up?

-- Kristy Cunningham and Liz Hoffman