Where you read it first | Monday, May 20, 2024

CD Review | Lindsey Buckingham moves past Fleetwood Mac to find 'his own way'

If "Almost Famous" (2000) taught us anything, it's that every ??ber-successful band of the '60s, '70s and beyond were all about sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. What's left out of the story is what happens when a rock superstar's glory days are over. In the case of Lindsey Buckingham, he resurfaced some 30 years later, graying and humble, with a solo album to show off his damaged, sensitive side.

Ex-guitarist of Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks' former romantic and musical partner, Buckingham needed to create a smash solo album to live up to his past fame. "Under the Skin," his fourth attempt at solo success, finally exhibits Buckingham's ability to create beautiful music on his own. His last effort, 1992's "Out of the Cradle," unfortunately relied on the drum machine-led, post-disco sound characteristic of the later years of Fleetwood Mac (songs like "Everywhere" and "Little Lies").

"Skin," however, marks a new style for Buckingham. It's as if he has finally stopped worrying about being washed up or second rate, and as a result, created an album very unlike his other solo projects or his work with Fleetwood Mac. If "Out of the Cradle" was his final plea for attention, then "Under the Skin" is Buckingham's ultimate recognition that he is aging, less famous and even a little wounded.

Buckingham's voice - no longer a cheery croon - is raspy and muted, giving a greater weight to lyrics concerning his dying fame: "Reading the paper, saw a review/ Said I was a visionary, but nobody knew," and "Now that's been a problem/ Feeling unheard." Ironically, it is by stripping away electric-driven hooks and been-there-done-that instrumentation found on his previous solo works that Buckingham can make himself heard.

Most of the tracks on "Skin" feature merely vocals, guitar (played by Buckingham), and maybe some light drumming, yielding a type of chancy simplicity; Buckingham risks creating trite, boring sounds we have all heard before. Admittedly, the last track, "Juniper," drags on with an uninteresting, repetitive background melody, a poor choice as a closer. The majority of the songs, however, are unique in their subtle, tap-your-foot-but-not-too-vigorously feel, worthy of Paul Simon, king of delicate catchiness.

Buckingham's talent for guitar playing, ignored in his electrically focused works, is revealed in this acoustically arranged album, as heard in "Try for the Sun," a folk-infused account of innocent love. "Shut Us Down" also displays Buckingham's mastery of his instrument, with the elegant, yet immensely complex fingerwork that comes with 30 years of experience.

Toward the middle of "Skin," Buckingham breaks from his new, introspective songs to take on "I Am Waiting" by the Rolling Stones. With the absence of Mick Jagger's slightly abrasive drawl, Buckingham sings barely above a faint whisper, smoothing out the raw edges that give Stones' songs their distinctive character.

He does this successfully, making sure to fill any holes of personality left by the Rolling Stones with his own, unique take on the ballad.

There is an appreciable balance of songs on "Skin," with every depressing commentary about a fallen star metered with a lighter, pop-propelled ditty.

One of these, "It Was You," (ode to current wife, Kristen Messner) could warm the heart and bounce the knee of any love-doubter.

This balance creates fullness for "Skin," showing that even with his new musical style, Buckingham is no one-trick pony.

We have to wonder what took Buckingham so long. First, it's been a whopping 14 years since the release of his last album.

Second, it took three previous solo efforts to finally define a unique style that didn't just sound like Fleetwood Mac minus Stevie Nicks.

Perhaps the creation of a mature, refined album takes a decade or so. For Buckingham fans, "Skin" is well worth the wait.

Buckingham announced plans to release another album in 2007 focused on electric guitar-driven rock. Buckingham fans, keep your fingers crossed.

It took him 10 years to discover that acoustic is where his talent lies, so let's hope he doesn't backtrack too much. In the music industry, one must stick with what works - "Under the Skin" really does.