Alleged rapist to be arraigned today

Michael Mahoney will be arraigned today on rape and assault charges stemming from two incidents that occurred near Tufts' campus over the summer.

Somerville Police tied the local man, already accused of rape, to a second alleged crime before he was indicted for all charges last Friday.

Mahoney, 25, was originally charged with four counts of aggravated rape and one count of kidnapping, all stemming from an alleged sexual assault on July 6.

After his arrest on July 7, the police connected Mahoney to an alleged assault on June 28. In relation to this incident, he has been charged with assault, battery and a threat to commit a crime, according to spokesperson Jessica Venezia of Middlesex County District Attorney Gerry Leone's office.

Mahoney allegedly forced a woman behind a house near the intersection of College Avenue and Dearborn Road and raped her in the dawn hours of July 6.

On June 28, another woman reported being grabbed and threatened while jogging by Powder House Circle. She was able to get away before the attacker could take further action. Mahoney is charged with the crime.

His current charges do not constitute Mahoney's only legal problems this year. He was arrested in March after allegedly biting his mother in the breast area during a confrontation.

Mahoney owed his mother money and had promised to sell his baseball and hockey cards to pay her back, according to police reports.

Mahoney is the second man to be arrested for rape near campus in the past 18 months. Nicolas Chacon is in prison for committing a series of sexual assaults in April 2007.

Senior Roni Herbst is living off-campus for the second year in a row, and says she is not entirely comfortable with it. "Off campus doesn't feel particularly safe," she said. "But because of that … people are pretty good at walking back at night in groups or getting walked home, and that definitely helps."

His arraignment is scheduled for 9 a.m. at the Middlesex Superior Court in Woburn.Mass.