Powell's bipartisan decision

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell endorsed Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) on "Meet the Press" yesterday morning, calling Obama a "transformational figure" and criticizing the McCain campaign for its negative tone. He also stated that, in his mind, Gov. Sarah Palin (R-Alaska) is not "ready to be president of the United States," should calamity befall Sen. McCain (R-Ariz.) while in office. Once considered a likely candidate to be the nation's first African-American nominee for president, Powell told host Tom Brokaw that his choice had nothing to do with race.

Powell's bold statement not only reveals the type of bipartisan cooperation that an Obama administration could foster, but it also goes a long way in reasurring undecided voters about Obama's national security credentials. The former secretary of state should be applauded for his decision to cross party lines and endorse the candidate who, in his mind, would make the best 44th president of the United States and epitomize the country's current generational shift.

For Obama, who has been criticized for being a liberal elitist, having the confidence of one of the nation's most prominent and respected Republican leaders is a huge boost as he seeks to extend his lead in the polls just over two weeks prior to Election Day. On the other hand, in endorsing Obama, Powell said McCain would "execute the Republican agenda," which did not paint McCain as the unwavering "maverick" he professes to be. Though Powell admitted that McCain would make a good president, this assertion may go a long way in gaining Obama favor with undecided voters who have become disgruntled with the current administration.

Additionally, Powell's endorsement acts as a major reassurance to voters concerned about Obama's lack of foreign policy experience and national security credentials. Now, with Sen. Joe Biden (D-Del.) on the ticket and Powell's endorsement in hand, Obama has foreign policy experts from both sides of the aisle — a fact that could move previously wary undecided voters into the Obama camp.

Essentially, Powell's ability to cross party lines in this increasingly polarized era is an important seal of approval for the Obama campaign. And coming at a time when McCain is gradually loosing the reins to the Straight Talk Express, Powell's move only strengthens a current that may prove too strong for McCain.