Where you read it first | Saturday, July 27, 2024

Frat steps up for autism

A group of brothers from the Theta Delta Chi fraternity raised $2,250 for Sunday's "Walk Now for Autism" at the Suffolk Downs Racetrack in east Boston.

The event was organized by Autism Speaks, a part of North America's largest autism benefit walk program.

In preparation for the walk, the brothers tabled in the campus center, sent out e-mails and set up a Web site to collect donations, Philanthropy Chair Max Gray said in an e-mail.

All of the money raised went directly toward autism research, according to Gray, a sophomore.

"It was actually really a lot of fun, it went really well, the turnout was pretty great for the entire event … We didn't think that we'd get as much as we did," said sophomore Zander Moore, a brother in Theta Delta Chi, which is commonly known as "123."

Each brother in the fraternity set up an individual Web site to raise money for the walk, and nine 123 representatives actually did the walk, Gray said in an interview.

"I think 123 has a history of doing really unique philanthropy, which I think is really cool," said Jessica Snow, vice president of marketing and public relations for the Inter-Greek Council.

Snow added that she thinks Theta Delta Chi is particularly good at organizing service projects that incorporate people both within the Tufts community and elsewhere.

Among its more eccentric campaigns, Theta Delta Chi organized "Mustachio Bashio" last fall, a charitable event in which brothers grew mustaches to raise money for cancer research.

Since the fraternity does not have a set national philanthropy organization to support, it picks and chooses which charitable events and organizations it participates in.

This could change, according to Gray. "Several Theta Delta Chi's around the country help donate to this charity yearly and [Autism Speaks] may become [the fraternity's national philanthropy] in the future," he said in his e-mail.

Giovanni Russonello contributed reporting to this article.