Inside Men's College Basketball | Obama's brother-in-law, Robinson, makes an impact at Oregon State

Craig Robinson, the new coach of the Oregon State Beavers, knows a thing or two about how to turn a long shot into a winner. As the brother of soon-to-be First Lady Michelle Obama, Robinson watched as his brother-in-law made the transformation from a little-known senator into a political phenomenon. And as he gears up for his first season in the Pac-10, Robinson knows his own challenge awaits him this winter.

Last season, the Beavers became the first team in the illustrious history of the Pac-10 to finish 0-18 in conference play. Oregon State, under the coaching direction of Jay John, lacked direction, and the Beavers finished the season with a 6-25 overall record that included home defeats to the likes of the Montana State Yellowjackets and the Alaska Nanooks. Fortunately for the Beavers, turnover in the starting lineup and Robinson's presence on the sidelines will allow for a clean slate in 2008-09.

As coach, Robinson brings a tantalizing combination of basketball expertise and leadership experience to the table. He played for the Princeton Tigers during the early 1980s, winning the Ivy League Player of the Year award twice before graduating -- two years ahead of Michelle -- in 1983. Instead of chasing a career in basketball, Robinson attended graduate school before rising through the ranks at Morgan Stanley Dean Witter.

But in 1999, Robinson was once again bitten by the basketball bug, and he left his plush job in the corporate arena for an assistant coaching spot on the Northwestern Wildcats in the Big Ten. In 2006, Robinson returned to the Ivy League to coach the Brown University Bears, compiling a winning record both years while earning conference Coach of the Year honors for the 2006-07 season. Robinson's meteoric rise through the coaching universe has led him to Oregon State with the mission of turning their struggling program around.

As a basketball strategist, Robinson is a true believer in the Princeton offense, and he has already begun installing it in his new role. The system is one based on constant motion, back-cuts and strong high-post play. With its reliance on unselfish team play and precision passing, the Princeton offense should allow Oregon State a better chance at competing against teams with superior athletic talent.

From an intangibles standpoint, Robinson's discipline and leadership skills are already rubbing off on his team. Famous for his early-morning practices, Robinson has commanded his team's attention with 5:30 a.m. workouts.

On the court, the Beavers will be led by junior swingman Seth Tarver, a versatile 6-foot-5 wingman who is considered the squad's best talent. Tarver averaged 9.6 points and 4.6 rebounds per game last season, and he'll be expected to shoulder more of the scoring load this year. To do that, he'll need to improve upon his dismal .392 shooting percentage, a product of poor shot selection. Tarver will be joined in the backcourt by his brother and classmate Josh, who will split point guard duties with senior Rickey Claitt.

In the frontcourt, a dismally thin unit of sophomore Omari Johnson and junior Roeland Schaftenaar is expected to anchor the low post. Although Johnson is undersized at 6-foot-7, he's an active player on the block who averaged 7.3 points and 4.3 rebounds per game last year in limited minutes.

While the Beavers remain hopeful in improving their performance on the court this season, it is likely that Robinson's presence will not be fully felt until further down the road. His greatest contribution to the program early on will likely be its increased cachet due to his family connections. With an already stellar track record of recruitment at non-traditional basketball schools like Northwestern and Brown, his position at Oregon State, combined with his link to the president-elect, may allow Robinson the potential to land top-100 players in the near future.