Ingrid Michaelson to play Jumbo Jam

Indie-pop singer-songwriter Ingrid Michaelson will play this year's Jumbo Jam on March 2 at Somerville Theatre, continuing Concert Board's efforts to bring more big-name acts to Tufts.

Following the success of the Ben Folds show last year, which was the first time the annual concert was held at Somerville Theater, organizers, wanting to book an act that would be just as popular amongst Tufts students, settled on Michaelson.

Concert Board Co-Chairs Nicole Goodwin and Theodore Finch see Michaelson as the perfect fit for Jumbo Jam, since a venue like Somerville Theatre requires an artist whose music caters to a seated audience.

"I think the venue works well with what kind of music Ingrid plays," Finch, a freshman, said. "It's not mosh music, so a venue with assigned seats will be nice."

Goodwin, a sophomore, agreed that Michaelson's style will suit the nature of the event.

"The ideal act is someone who is popular on campus, who will give a good live performance," she said. "We also wanted someone who is rock-ish, but generally more chill. That's Ingrid."

Michaelson is well known for her pop tunes, often featured on popular television series such as "Grey's Anatomy" and "One Tree Hill." Her music has become increasingly popular, with songs like "The Way I Am" and "Be OK" charting in the Billboard Hot 100.

The opening act for the show will be Greg Laswell, whom Michaelson requested to accompany her.

Goodwin and Finn hope that excitement about Michaelson can translate into a sold-out show in the approximately 900-seat Somerville Theatre.

"We're expecting a really big turnout," Goodwin said. "The people we've talked to on campus seem really enthusiastic about Ingrid."

Finch agreed that student response to the decision to bring Michaelson to Somerville has generally been positive. "The message I've gotten is that people really like her and are excited for her to be coming," he said.

Concert Board originally booked Michaelson for a show last semester, but she had to cancel her Tufts engagement due to conflicts, according to Goodwin.

Tickets for the show will go on sale Tuesday, Feb. 16 in the Campus Center and cost $15 each. Tufts students will be able to obtain two tickets each when they present their student I.D.

Goodwin anticipates long lines when tickets go on sale and suggests that interested students line up early.

"If anyone is a die-hard Ingrid fan, they should try to be there right when tickets go on sale, if not before," she said.

Ben Folds was the first well-known act that Concert Board booked for Jumbo Jam, which resulted in the event's move from its original Dewick-MacPhie Dining Hall location to the larger, grander Somerville Theatre.

Concert Board hopes Michaelson's performance will help solidify the trend of bringing more popular acts to Tufts for concerts other than Spring Fling.

While Concert Board dedicates the majority of its budget to planning Spring Fling, Goodwin said that the budget for Jumbo Jam has been increased in the past and will continue to grow as long as students embrace the musicians who play in the concert.

Finch expressed his excitement about the show and the prospect of bringing similarly compelling acts to Tufts.

"I hope people enjoy the show," he said. "That's why I joined Concert Board. I want people to experience wonderful stuff."