Baseball | Jumbos have rare opportunity to repeat as NESCAC champions

The baseball team won a program record 34 games last year, took home the NESCAC championship and needed just one more victory to clinch a trip to the Div. III College World Series. But, as any member of this year's squad will attest, a frustrating defeat in the New England Regional championship game left a sour taste in the Jumbos' mouths.

Tufts carried a 6−3 lead into the fifth inning of that contest against UMass−Boston, but the Beacons surged ahead in the middle frames, and their bullpen slammed the door shut at the end. The 12−6 defeat brought an abrupt end to an historic season, but the 2011 Jumbos are determined not to let another season end like that.

"Our goals this season are to match and exceed what we did last year," senior pitcher Derek Miller said. "We want to get through regionals in Harwich, [Mass.] and take a flight to the World Series in Wisconsin. As far as we're concerned, we're currently on a one−game losing streak."

A challenging, 35−game regular−season slate stands between the Jumbos and the playoffs. The team recognizes that its route back to the postseason is a marathon, not a sprint.

"The key for us is to approach every situation the exact same way and not change who we are or how we play," senior second baseman Frank Petroskey said. "We can't control how the other team plays, but we can control focusing on every pitch and being ready for every situation."

One factor working in the Jumbos' favor is experience. The team will return the vast majority of its starting position players from last season, including perhaps the best infield in the conference. Co−captains junior Sam Sager and senior David LeResche were both named to the All−NESCAC First Team in 2010 for their efforts at third base and shortstop, respectively. Petroskey was a Second−Team honoree after batting .353 in his first season at Tufts after transferring from the University of Vermont.

The outfield, meanwhile, will return seniors Ian Goldberg, Chase Rose and David Orlowitz, as well as classmate Ben Walkley, who split time at designated hitter and in the outfield in 2010. All of those players hit over .300 last season and had at least 20 RBIs. Additionally, the Jumbos have brought in sophomore Nate Izzo, a transfer from Div. I Boston College.

Coach John Casey's pitching staff will feature even more continuity than the lineup. Miller and junior Dave Ryan had the most starts last season, while senior Ed Bernstein led all relievers with 42 strikeouts. Four of the team's top five pitchers from last year, in terms of ERA, will all take the mound for the Jumbos again. Junior closer Chris DeGoti — a preseason All−American — is the lone exception, as he will miss the entire season after undergoing Tommy John surgery. (See the accompanying box on page 11 for more information on DeGoti's injury.)

"It's always in your favor to have guys who have been here before," Petroskey said. "We have a large group of upperclassmen to help the young guys learn the ropes, but we're going to need everyone to play their part in order to be successful."

Ranked No. 17 in the latest NCBWA top−25 poll, the Jumbos are ready to embark on their annual spring break trip to Virginia and North Carolina. The team does not plan on taking its first competitive action of the year lightly — especially considering the transition outside. The team has spent the snowy weather practicing in Carzo Cage, as it usually does each winter.

"We've been able to work on a lot of things while practicing indoors, but there are elements of playing outside that will be different, so we need to be prepared for that," Petroskey said.

As the defending conference champions, the Jumbos know that once they return from spring break and kick off the NESCAC portion of their schedule, they'll be targeted from the get−go.

"After winning NESCACs last year, every team is going to be pumped up to play us," Miller said. "The league is very balanced this year, and every team is capable of sneaking through."

This year's conference docket begins with a three−game series against Bates at Huskins Field on April 1−2. Like the Jumbos, the Bobcats are a veteran team and set a school record with 25 wins last season. Bates — along with all the other teams in the conference — is hoping for even greater things this spring.

"Bowdoin was a team that gave us a run last year and Trinity has done it the last few years," Miller added. "But Bates, Colby and all the teams out west are great too, and every league game can make or break your season."

The Jumbos believe that their blend of depth and experience gives them a chance to win every game. They are anxious to take the field and begin their quest to repeat as NESCAC champions, a feat that only two teams — Amherst in 2004−2005 and the Bantams in 2008−2009 — have accomplished this decade.

"We have the talent to compete with any team in New England," Miller said. "But we have to show up to play and take it inning by inning, pitch by pitch, to give ourselves a chance."