Baseball sweeps Trinity, clinches entry to NESCAC playoff tournament

Jumbos end cold streak with three close wins over Trinity at home.

PatrickSolomon_01.jpg

Patrick Solomon is pictured against Trinity on April 20.

The baseball team took all three games against Trinity at home this past weekend to clinch NESCAC playoff tournament standings. Coming off a five game losing streak, the series was pivotal both to clinch and, more importantly, to build momentum as they wrapped up the regular season. Junior pitcher Jacob Lapp described the mentality heading into the weekend and significance of the series.

“For NESCAC standings … obviously we needed at least two [wins], but I think as a team, we really needed to sweep them,” Lapp said. “And that was important just kind of for morale. We were on kind of a colder streak, and we came into the weekend with a lot of energy. We stepped up in a big moment and we took all three [games].”

The Jumbos took the first game 6–4, fueled by an eight-inning stellar pitching performance by senior Silas Reed and offensive production up and down the lineup. Reed pitched seven scoreless innings, allowing the Bantams only three runs in the fourth inning. With the bats, the Jumbos struck first and piled on an early 6–0 lead after three innings. First-year outfielder Malachi Pena and sophomore catcher Malcolm Whitfield launched solo home runs each. To account for the rest of the six runs, the Jumbos offense produced five singles, two doubles and three stolen bases. Pena commented on the cohesion of the offense and defense: “We say it time and time again: Get behind our pitcher’s back.”

The new Sol Gittleman Park finally got its dedication on Saturday during the second game of the series and first of the afternoon. Gittleman himself threw the first pitch before the day kicked off. Unlike the night before, the Bantams struck first, scoring three runs in the first two innings. The Jumbos added one run in the third inning on a bases-loaded RBI single by sophomore second baseman Jesse McCullough. The Jumbos would continue to play from behind the Bantams 3–1 until the sixth inning. Junior outfielder Cooper Smith started the sixth on base with a walk. Whitfield joined him on base with a single. Graduate student first baseman Connor Flavin hit a sacrifice fly to score Smith. Senior infielder Patrick Solomon was hit by a pitch to add another Jumbo runner to the bases. Junior outfielder Henry Fleckner came up with an RBI single to score Whitfield. Solomon and Fleckner each stole a base and Pena delivered a two-RBI single to tie the game and score the winning run. Pena described the feeling.

“Passed ball, our runners advanced to second and third,” Pena said. “I was like, ‘Well, this is a situation I want to be in. So I got to execute.’ I knew [their pitcher] was going to come with a fastball. I knew that I just had to be on time. [I had] good enough contact to get it up the middle — that feeling itself was amazing. Driving in the tying run and also the winning run — the feeling is unmatched, especially with the crowd [full of alums] in the stands.”

Heading into game 3, the Jumbos had already clinched NESCAC Tournament entry, but they used the momentum of the day and took another from the Bantams to complete the sweep. Lapp earned his first career start and jumped on the opportunity, pitching six great innings for the Jumbos. Lapp described the feeling and praised the Jumbo defense.

“It felt so good … to just have a bunch of guys behind you in the field that are ‘dogs,’ you know?” Lapp said. “[My teammates make up] just such a good infield [and] such a good outfield. Anytime a ball is hit, I don’t even need to look. I know it’s going to be fielded or caught.”

Throughout the series overall, the Jumbos did not commit an error and executed an impressive five double plays over the three games. Solid performances on the mound and offensive production at opportune moments rounded out the team’s play. Lapp echoed this sentiment in the context of moving forward in the season.

“The team’s feeling great,” Lapp said. “That was a huge energy morale booster. I think now we’re really rolling [and] we’re all playing with confidence, after a little cold streak. [We’re] playing like the team that we [know we] can be. I think especially going into [the NESCAC tournament], I think we’re ready to go. Our pitching is looking fantastic and the rotation is looking good. [Our] hitters are really aggressive — they’re partying up front.”

The Jumbos will get on the road to play their next game against Wheaton College on Thursday at 3 p.m.