Susie Church | Food Fight

If there's one signature food on campus that's as much a part of the Tufts culture as Jumbo himself, it's the late-night calzone. Whether you're studying into the wee hours of the morning or ending a long night out, there's nothing quite as fitting as going ham on one of these folded pizzas. Eating your first Blue Zone is practically a rite of passage here. 

So, where do you go to get your fix? Within just a few blocks on Boston Avenue are three thriving Italian joints. I'm no stranger to any of these places, but I practically skipped down the hill to try out a basic, Italian calzone at each establishment and deliver my final verdict.

First, there's Helen's Pizzeria. Open seven days a week until 3 a.m., Helen's accommodates the student body at all times, not just on weekend nights out. And of course, Helen's is famous across campus for the Blue Zone - a buffalo chicken and special sauce calzone served with blue cheese. But how does Helen's taste apart from its staple dish? Sadly, not too great. I ordered the medium to maintain size consistency between each eatery, and Helen's calzone clocked in at the most expensive. While the meat was good, the dough seemed dry, sending the whole calzone south. What upset me most about Helen's, however, was its service. Ordering there takes significantly longer than anywhere else, and oftentimes the staff is cold and unpleasant. That's why Helen's has never been my go-to for any calzone craving.

Next up, Espresso Pizza. Filled with friendly people and big calzones, Espresso was my number-one late-night stop last year, and this time around I still found it incredibly satisfying. While I think their calzones could use more cheese and a little less grease, I'm never disappointed. However, the price, like Helen's, is still quite high. Plus, its smaller menu and earlier weekday closing time leaves Espresso with a good amount of room for improvement. Nonetheless, it's a solid option for a hefty, greasy but delicious calzone.

Then, there's Pranzi's. Surely the least well known of the three establishments, Pranzi's just moved to Boston Avenue this year. With a clean-cut and sleek dining area, this Italian food joint may at first feel a little foreign to students when compared to Espresso or Helen's. Yet the welcoming staff and extensively delicious menu makes it a great choice for a late-night meal. Their massive calzone had the perfect ratios of oil, cheese and meat. It was easily the most delicious calzone of the bunch, and the space itself had the nicest atmosphere, too. Pranzi's, coming out of nowhere, left me a little dumbfounded with its quality. Out of curiosity, I went back for a slice of their pizza and, take this from a born and raised New Yorker: They make a great slice. Pranzi's, welcome to the neighborhood. I hope we'll be seeing a lot more of you.

So there it is. The newcomer wins this one. To anyone who is seething with anger right now over my disregard for Helen's or Espresso and has never heard of Pranzi's, I urge you to take a leap of faith and try it out. It is a well-worthy venture. Other than that, happy eating!

Susie Church is a sophomore who has not yet declared a major. She can be reached at Susannah.Church@tufts.edu.