Where you read it first | Thursday, May 16, 2024

'Supernatural' offers fans nothing new in season 11 premiere

The premiere of the 11th season of The CW’s "Supernatural" (2005-present) aired earlier this month. That’s right -- 11th. Given its convoluted and often absurd plot lines, it's a mystery as to how this show has managed to survive this long. Season 11 certainly doesn’t hold any answers because, frankly, it’s a giant train wreck.

To be fair, the series itself isn’t exactly the paragon of good television. The plot revolves around two monster-hunting brothers, Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean Winchester (Jensen Ackles), who have been to Hell and back (literally), fought both angels and devils and have died numerous times. Miraculously -- their friend Castiel (Misha Collins) is an angel, so yes, miraculously -- the brothers keep coming back to life. Their amazing inability to stay dead is perhaps the answer to why this show has been renewed for an 11th season. If the main characters aren’t dead, might as well keep going, right? Then there’s the show’s die-hard fanbase, which sticks by it no matter how laughable the plot becomes.

In the newest season, Sam and Dean face a new enemy: the elusive Darkness. That's really its name: the Darkness. Not exactly the most intriguing name for a nemesis, but if the writers were shooting for self-explanatory, they certainly succeeded. The Darkness appears to be exactly what it sounds like: a giant evil storm cloud that Sam accidentally released from its ancient prison. This foe is made slightly more interesting by Dean's discovery that the Darkness is actually a woman, but her exact intentions -- world domination or world destruction -- remain unclear. In the season premiere, she reveals to Dean that she, like he, also bears the Mark of Cain, an evil mark that brings out the worst in those who bear it. The Mark of Cain emphasizes the duality of good and evil within Dean himself -- a theme that was not only the focus of the entire 10th season but also of many seasons before it. Bringing it back again only makes the series feel even more predictable. 

With a new season come new monsters, though exactly what they are and how to kill them still elude the Winchester brothers. In an attempt to rectify this issue, Sam convinces Dean that they should split up so that Sam can find a way to destroy these monsters. Unfortunately, while defending himself during a fight, Sam is turned into one of these very monsters -- a plot twist that will undoubtedly affect the rest of the season. The dark side of both brothers has been exposed and will continue to influence their decisions going forward. Despite this, the dark side of Sam's personality is an overused focus and will bore longtime fans of the show. Sam has abandoned his family, lost his soul and run off with a demon, so this internal conflict is nothing new. As for his mistake in releasing the Darkness -- well, he started the apocalypse in season four, didn’t he? This kind of careless mistake should be expected from him.

"Supernatural" has never been lauded for its complex characters. Rather, has always been the amusing dialogue that draws in viewers. But this time around, any banter between Sam and Dean has pretty much vanished as well. Their conversations are so short and cryptic that it’s hard to follow what they’re talking about. Dean’s characteristic gruff, short grunts have become, well, a little too gruff and short. Viewers may wonder if Dean Winchester knows any words that aren't monosyllabic. As for Sam, he spends most of the time with a look on his face like that of a lost puppy. His hair is a bit shorter though, so that’s exciting. 

"Supernatural" has never been a go-to show for those searching for quality television. Season 11 might be unimpressive, but it still has the classic "Supernatural" vibe. Sam and Dean have to save the world, Castiel is in trouble and the King of Hell (Mark Sheppard) continues to wreak havoc while wearing his trademark smirk. There are strange sexual jokes that have no business in a show focused on siblings, odd unexplained plot twists and questionable character developments (or lack thereof). Fans might be disappointed by the lack of change, but that doesn’t mean they won’t be entertained. After all, if they’ve been entertained by the show’s circular plot lines for the past 10 seasons, what’s another 23 episodes? And, hey, the show gets points for consistency, right?

Summary After ten season of reused plotlines, "Supernatural" has nothing unique to offer fans in its eleventh season premiere except for decent entertainment.